Re-Chrome

Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:58 am

Hey all,

Has anyone tried to have small bridge parts re-chromed? Like saddles and thumb screws on the fine tuner bridges?
Did it work?
What did it cost?
What metal did you have plated onto the parts?
Do you think it would negatively effect the value of the guitar?

I am very interested in trying this on one of my Yellow invaders with the fine tuner bridge but don't want to ruin it. They cannot be replaced easily.

It's funny, the current saddle lock saddles look similar but do not reverse like the fine tuner saddles which face one way on the first three strings and the other way on the others. What were they thinking?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tom

Re: Re-Chrome

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:27 pm

With Leo-era models…. I would leave them alone but that's just me. At some point in time there is the possibility that Leo-era models will become more collectible as they are affiliated with the man who basically started it all + technically they are attaining vintage status (30 years old) The general rule in the vintage market is stock is stock and anything else devalues the value. I realise many folks think this will not be the case with Leo-era and that's a definite possibility…. but I also remember a time when any post 1964 Fenders guitars weren't desirable, post '67 Femder amps were deemed crap and 70's Fender strats and tells were simply considered junk.

As far as to how BBE runs things… totally different and IMO not 'what Leo would have wanted' but they don't seem to be of the same opinion.

My .02.

Cheers,
KF

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks for the input KF, I know what the "stock is stock" issue is all about. I own a perfectly stock '03 Mustang Cobra which I have made no modifications on, despite pressure from my gear head friends, and it is worth more than I paid for it.

I just would like it if this particular guitar looked a bit nicer in the bridge department since the rest of it is pristine. I actually bought another one with better looking bridge that I might swap bridges on. Not sure that would effect the value as it would be correct to the guitar and how could one really tell. Of course if you read this you might have a notion that I did. I would really like to find a stand alone fine tuner bridge for sale but that's not likely. I think I will research to see what other guitars had these bridges and how many were made. Maybe I can find a beat to hell one with a good bridge.

Tom

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:23 pm

No worries. eBay turns up a lot of Leo-era parts so you never know… as far as swapping stuff goes… there's stock and all original and most vintage dealers in my experience have no problem bluring those lines…

Cheers,
KF