Slight fret buzz/action issue

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:42 am

Hi all!!

Brand new G&L owner here, I recently purchased the G&l Fallout tribute, and I love it. It's my first electric guitar, however I was thinking of having it set up? or possibly doing it myself, since I noticed some slight fret buzz and the actions a little tough on my hands.

I had the guitar shipped to me, so I don't know if that had any affect. Initially, I raised the action on the top 2 strings and that canceled out most of the fret buzz, but I kinda wanted low action, it seems sort of tough on my fingers at the moment, but I don't want to lower it too much because then I can hear a lot of fret buzz.

So I wanted to see what I could do? The neck looks pretty straight so I'm not certain it could be the truss rod, and also I'm not that experienced with adjusting a truss rod and I don't want to do it unless I'm certain that's the issue. Same with filing down anything.

It also still has the strings from the factory which I think are either 9/10's. I usually like heavier gauges so I bought some 11/48's, but I have yet to change them. Could that be an issue as well?

Thanks!

Re: Slight fret buzz/action issue

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:55 am

sirkrobat wrote:Hi all!!

Brand new G&L owner here, I recently purchased the G&l Fallout tribute, and I love it. It's my first electric guitar, however I was thinking of having it set up? or possibly doing it myself, since I noticed some slight fret buzz and the actions a little tough on my hands.

I had the guitar shipped to me, so I don't know if that had any affect. Initially, I raised the action on the top 2 strings and that canceled out most of the fret buzz, but I kinda wanted low action, it seems sort of tough on my fingers at the moment, but I don't want to lower it too much because then I can hear a lot of fret buzz.

So I wanted to see what I could do? The neck looks pretty straight so I'm not certain it could be the truss rod, and also I'm not that experienced with adjusting a truss rod and I don't want to do it unless I'm certain that's the issue. Same with filing down anything.

It also still has the strings from the factory which I think are either 9/10's. I usually like heavier gauges so I bought some 11/48's, but I have yet to change them. Could that be an issue as well?

Thanks!

Peruse this sub-forum as there are a number of setup information posts. Suggest starting with this post: How-To Guide.
Do your initial setup using the factory settings with the existing strings (10's) and get it setup without fret buzz. Once you are comfortable with doing the basic setup, then work on your action setup.
If you decide to go to a higher gauge string setup, then make that change last.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: