Neck Heel width?

Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 am

Is the neck heel width on all new and/or current G&L models 2 1/4" or are there any with 2 3/16"? The main reason I'm asking is because I have a '83 SC-2, and I was thinking of putting a new saddle lock bridge on it, but I was wondering if there would be any problems with the 2 3/16" neck heel and the wider spacing of the newer saddles on the current bridges. Would that make the E strings too close to the edge of the neck or is it so minimal that it wouldn't make a difference?

Re: Neck Heel width?

Tue May 03, 2016 7:09 am

psychocandy wrote:Is the neck heel width on all new and/or current G&L models 2 1/4" or are there any with 2 3/16"? The main reason I'm asking is because I have a '83 SC-2, and I was thinking of putting a new saddle lock bridge on it, but I was wondering if there would be any problems with the 2 3/16" neck heel and the wider spacing of the newer saddles on the current bridges. Would that make the E strings too close to the edge of the neck or is it so minimal that it wouldn't make a difference?

Yes, the current neck heel width is 2 1/4".

From the G&L On-Line Store:

BRIDGE SADDLE SET - G&L SADDLE LOCK GUITAR

Set of (6) chrome plated brass saddles for G&L Saddle-Lock guitar bridge complete with height adjustment screws, intonation screws and springs. Fits current USA and all Tribute Series models. These saddles are an upgrade for Tribute Series saddles which are chrome plated zinc die-cast, as they used to be for USA Saddle Lock bridges.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Due to at least three changes to the bridge plate casting in three decades, it is possible that these saddles may not fit the within the space original bridge plate on your guitar. This current bridge plate has 2.64" (66.9mm) width for the saddles. The current set of (6) saddles has a combined width of about 2.60" (66.0mm). Before ordering, measure the interior width of your bridge plate to be sure the current saddles will fit in that space.

Many earlier bridge plates from the 1980 through mid 2000s have around 2.58" (65.5mm) width, usually less space when black powdercoating ("wrinkle finish") was added. For example, an early '80s wrinkle finish bridge plate measured 2.56" (65.0mm). The current saddles will not fit these early Saddle Lock bridges. You may order a complete Saddle Lock bridge instead.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: