Neck Profiles

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:34 pm

I've read G&L's website description of its neck profiles and learned a lot but still had a question that I hope someone here knows the answer to. I searched the forums but didn't see an answer, my apologies in advance if I missed it. Question: Does Slim C == Medium C?

I *love* my G&L Fallout Tribute and am considering adding a USA made Fallout (did I mention I *love* this model?). The G&L website says the USA Fallout has a "Slim C" neck profile and the Tribute has a "Medium C" neck profile.

IMO, the "Medium C" neck profile on my Tribute feels awfully thin. I once held a G&L having a #1 (Classic C) neck profile and it felt much thicker in the cup of my hand (which is good because I have long fingers and the thicker body meant less "pinching" == less hand fatigue).

Thank you,
Garth

Re: Neck Profiles

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:58 pm

gazoller wrote:I've read G&L's website description of its neck profiles and learned a lot but still had a question that I hope someone here knows the answer to. I searched the forums but didn't see an answer, my apologies in advance if I missed it. Question: Does Slim C == Medium C?

I *love* my G&L Fallout Tribute and am considering adding a USA made Fallout (did I mention I *love* this model?). The G&L website says the USA Fallout has a "Slim C" neck profile and the Tribute has a "Medium C" neck profile.

IMO, the "Medium C" neck profile on my Tribute feels awfully thin. I once held a G&L having a #1 (Classic C) neck profile and it felt much thicker in the cup of my hand (which is good because I have long fingers and the thicker body meant less "pinching" == less hand fatigue).

Thank you,
Garth

If you have a set of calipers, measure the neck depths at the 1st and 12th frets on your Tribute Fallout. Now check it with the Slim C measurements:

Slim C - 1 5/8ā€ nut width, slight edge roll, mild taper from 0.820ā€ to 0.870ā€. These specs were part of the #1a neck.

NOTE: * All profiles have a +/- 0.015" tolerance

* SC-2, Fallout and F-100 have no neck profile options available at this time.

(reference: July 1, 2015-present US Neck Profile Options).

Please let us know what measurements you get on your Tribute Fallout.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Those moments where you think, "Hm... why didn't I think of that?!" Well, I'm having one of those right now... :lol: Great idea and a trip to the hardware store!
-Garth

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Dial-calipers in hand and the answer is that the Fallout Tribute's "Medium C" is the same depth as the USA Slim C profile. :D

-Garth

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:39 pm

gazoller wrote:Dial-calipers in hand and the answer is that the Fallout Tribute's "Medium C" is the same depth as the USA Slim C profile. :D

-Garth

Thanks for posting your results.

Much appreciated.

:ugeek: