Mfd out of phase

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:45 pm

I want to put an out of phase switch on my Asat Classic. Can any one help me out? I want to flip the phase of the neck pickup but from what I understand it's connected to a ground plate and I'm not sure how that affects things. Or maybe it doesn't and I can just wire the switch normally ? I've wired a out of phase switch before and am good with that. Any help ?

Re: Mfd out of phase

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Andor wrote:I want to put an out of phase switch on my Asat Classic. Can any one help me out? I want to flip the phase of the neck pickup but from what I understand it's connected to a ground plate and I'm not sure how that affects things. Or maybe it doesn't and I can just wire the switch normally ? I've wired a out of phase switch before and am good with that. Any help ?

I contacted a friend of mine who is a pickup guru, here is what he said:

The ground is connected to a small ground plate on the bottom of the neck MFD pickup. If you make that hot by doing a simple phase reversal you will get more hum.
I've never done it so I don't know how bad it will be but hey, it would be interesting to see. You won't hurt anything by trying it.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks Craig. Not sure about mfds but with fender telecaster type pickups I know you can break the connection ground/cover connection and run a new ground so the pickup (+) (-) are free to mod away. Would your buddy know if that is possible to do that with an mfd ground/plate connection without ruining the pickup. It's hard to find info on mfds other than people hating or loving them.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:32 am

Andor wrote:Thanks Craig. Not sure about mfds but with fender telecaster type pickups I know you can break the connection ground/cover connection and run a new ground so the pickup (+) (-) are free to mod away. Would your buddy know if that is possible to do that with an mfd ground/plate connection without ruining the pickup. It's hard to find info on mfds other than people hating or loving them.

Here's his reply:

This same solution would work on an MFD as well. By doing this, you can do your phase switching without the problem of having the ground plate becoming part of the signal.
You can run a separate ground wire to the ground plate and leave the + and - wires free to configure in any phase you like.

Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:34 pm

If you do decide to make this mod, please do post in the The Project Page sub-forum with the details, photos and sound and/or video files.