PTB ok to use with different pickups?

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:42 am

Hi there,Im swapping out the pickups in my comanche to some dimarzio's as I fancy something different(using a legacy pick guard).I have to have the PTB system though as I honesty dont know how I got by without it before.Will it be ok to use the pots from the comanche and will the tone of the pickups sound as they should if it was just a regular 1 volume 2 tone set up.Im not too in the knowledge about electronics so i want to make sure beforehand.Technically it should be the same just with the added bass control yes?Is there different value pots in the PTB system though?Im pretty sure 500k pots are what Ive been hearing the dimarzios through(AT-1 and 2 cruisers).Thanks in advance

Re: PTB ok to use with different pickups?

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:09 am

As far as I know, the electronics are the same in all the PTB setups in the Legacy, Comanche, etc. You should just be able to wire in the new pickups. I have a Legacy special that had the stock rail pickups replaced with a Paul Gilbert pickup set, and it sounds just fine.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:12 am

diddly wrote:Hi there,Im swapping out the pickups in my comanche to some dimarzio's as I fancy something different(using a legacy pick guard).I have to have the PTB system though as I honesty dont know how I got by without it before.Will it be ok to use the pots from the comanche and will the tone of the pickups sound as they should if it was just a regular 1 volume 2 tone set up.Im not too in the knowledge about electronics so i want to make sure beforehand.Technically it should be the same just with the added bass control yes?Is there different value pots in the PTB system though?Im pretty sure 500k pots are what Ive been hearing the dimarzios through(AT-1 and 2 cruisers).Thanks in advance

tbonesullivan wrote:As far as I know, the electronics are the same in all the PTB setups in the Legacy, Comanche, etc. You should just be able to wire in the new pickups. I have a Legacy special that had the stock rail pickups replaced with a Paul Gilbert pickup set, and it sounds just fine.

Yes, see all the various Legacy models, along with the Comanche and S-500 models. They all have the PTB system. For wiring details, see our Gallery: Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:42 am

I have a couple of Legacys fitted with Dimarzio Areas and Injectors. Both retain the PTB wiring.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:49 am

Nice one.Cheers lads