needing help for wiring new single coil sized humbuckers

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Hey Everyone!

Im new to this page so please forgive me if someone has already posted this same request or has already demonstrated the end result....

heres what im wanting to do.

I have a legacy special and changing out the pups with Seymour duncan JB jr. in the bridge and 2 lil 59's in the middle and neck. these are 5 wire pups and I want to add in a SPDT switch to get 7 positions and a 2nd switch (3PDT) to split the coils for strat like tones. the end result would be 14 tones in total (7 humbucker and 7 single coil). On top of all that I want to retain my Legacy's PTB wiring set up.

this is my first time wiring pups and maybe im biting off more than I can chew. Ive been trying to find other schematics and piece it together with G&L's scematic online... but im getting a little confused and taking tylonol for the head ache! haha

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Re: needing help for wiring new single coil sized humbuckers

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:55 pm

guitarphil wrote:Hey Everyone!

Im new to this page so please forgive me if someone has already posted this same request or has already demonstrated the end result....

heres what im wanting to do.

I have a legacy special and changing out the pups with Seymour duncan JB jr. in the bridge and 2 lil 59's in the middle and neck. these are 5 wire pups and I want to add in a SPDT switch to get 7 positions and a 2nd switch (3PDT) to split the coils for strat like tones. the end result would be 14 tones in total (7 humbucker and 7 single coil). On top of all that I want to retain my Legacy's PTB wiring set up.

this is my first time wiring pups and maybe im biting off more than I can chew. Ive been trying to find other schematics and piece it together with G&L's scematic online... but im getting a little confused and taking tylonol for the head ache! haha

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

As a starting point, you might want to look at our Gallery, see: Album: Legacy Special Diagrams.

I'll let the more experienced tinker's help you further.

:ugeek:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Personally I would not mess with the wiring and pickups on the guitar and I would learn as much as possible about the stock PTB wiring system. I'd put the JB Jr, etc., in a more simple strat. I dig my stock Tribute Legacy.

Be careful not to screw up your very awesome guitar.

But it's your guitar to do with as you choose. Just, good luck.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Have you tried Seymour Duncan's site? Both he and Dimarzio have a ton of wiring schematics for their pickups. It would provide accurate info on the color coding.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:22 am

You could Strip all the G and L advanced wiring out of there and rewire it "old school" with some Seymour Duncan single coils.

Every additional switch you put in there will add a little more noise. I like to keep a very decent guitar as simple and close to stock as possible, except for upgrading certain pickups, ect. New Pickguards, chrome knurled barrel P Bass knobs, American string trees, block bridge saddles, and so forth. I don't like messing up the wiring; which is all too easy for me to do. I like to utilize guys with a lot more expertise than me for those instances. Especially on real decent stuff.