New York Repairs

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Who do you trust in New York to repair or setup your G&L?

Re: New York Repairs

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Evan Gluck at New York Guitar Repair, http://newyorkguitarrepair.com/ (his shop is on the Upper West Side of Manhattan), comes highly recommended, and he impresses me as knowledgeable and honest, but I can't testify about the quality of his work, because I haven't had him do any yet.

I took my ASAT Classic to him for a set-up, and he told me I needed a new neck. I bought it in 1993, and have played it very little, but kept tension on the strings through all those years, and the neck has bowed. Evan made a lot of adjustments, and got it playable, but he was afraid to tighten the truss rod any further. He wouldn't set it up, because he couldn't guarantee his work, with the neck in that condition. Even so, he told me that there are a lot of guitars out there that are in no better shape, and are being played regularly by pros. He wouldn't let me pay him a dime, even though he worked on my axe for half an hour.

If I decide to replace the neck of my ASAT, and can find a replacement, I expect I'll take it to him.

Jim Crutchfield
Long Island City, NY

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm

since you have a 3 bolt neck it might be tough to find .... if you can't find a good used neck , there is a Luither building a 3 bolt neck in the G&L forum under "projects" that looks real nice , you might mosey over there and take a look

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:30 pm

I bought a surplus G&L Tribute neck from the G&L Online store for my L-2000 bass from 1983 that has a bad truss rod nut.
The neck was very reasonably priced (Like $30 US!!!) and it fit my 3 bolt body perfectly. it brought back a great bass.
i don't see those necks available now but they may be in the future.

IMHO there is a bit of a myth when people think of 3 bolt necks and replacements. The neck pockets on the bodies were not re-dimensioned when they went to 4 or 6 bolt attachments. In my experience, the new necks fit the old bodies.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions! If I find a solution, I'll report back (in a new thread). But I feel a little bad that nobody else has posted an answer to Tommykmusic's original question. Anybody?