New flamed maple tribute legacy

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:06 am

Are the pickups, pots, bridges, electronics exactly like the other non flame tribute Legacy's? Are they the same pickups?

Are the pots and electronics from the same source and the same parts and quality? I can buy upgrade parts from your store and have the local G&L dealer in our town do the work.

I ordered a sunburst one and expect it today or tomorrow.

Does the upgrade TREM come with the solid 1018 cold-rolled steel trem block?. Or is the stock TREM on the flamed one the same including block. If not would this be a good upgrade?

Thanks.

Re: New flamed maple tribute legacy

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:59 am

This was discussed recently.

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12869

Unlike other Tribute Series Legacies, the pickups are not USA. Makes me wonder if going forward all the TS Legacies will have Indonesian made PU made to G&L's specifications. It seems that a lot of the Alnico PUs in the other tribute models are made in Indonesia to G&L specs. That being said, I've heard good things about some these Alnico pickups - especially the HB is the TS ASAT Deluxe. I suspect that the MFDs will continue to be USA. I'm pretty sure pots and switches have always been different.

As for price, I recall these new flame top models being lower. I suspect the lower cost would be due to lower cost associated with producing and shipping of the PUs.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks for the reply. I hope this turns out to be a cool guitar equal to the regular Tribute Legacy's.

I don't mind doing some upgrades like locking tuners, the new bridge assembly which I suppose is USA made, and maybe even the USA Alnico pickups.

What do you think? I will try it as is for a while first, of course, and decide what upgrades make sense, if any.

I'm looking forward to one of these. Am I allowed to discuss other manufacturers pickups that I might want to put in the new guitar?

I have an older Tribute ASAT Classic semi solid tele with the MFD pickup set, a really nice sunburst thick ash top and what looks like a thick mahogany back. I like the very lightly finished back of the neck. It is really white and I should probably think about the shoe polish tint, unless there is a better way to tint the neck. I'm living with it for now and it is more appealing every day even though it is quite white looking.

Anxious to get the sunburst MF special edition. I hope it is as nice as the regular Tribute Legacy at the store near me, good quality, etc.

I think these are on sale according to the person at MF when I asked for a discount, which they usually give. They said it is on sale already so not discount would be applied. Usually they give me a decent discount, being a good customer.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Duffy wrote:Thanks for the reply. I hope this turns out to be a cool guitar equal to the regular Tribute Legacy's.

I don't mind doing some upgrades like locking tuners, the new bridge assembly which I suppose is USA made, and maybe even the USA Alnico pickups.

What do you think? I will try it as is for a while first, of course, and decide what upgrades make sense, if any.

I'm looking forward to one of these. Am I allowed to discuss other manufacturers pickups that I might want to put in the new guitar?

I have an older Tribute ASAT Classic semi solid tele with the MFD pickup set, a really nice sunburst thick ash top and what looks like a thick mahogany back. I like the very lightly finished back of the neck. It is really white and I should probably think about the shoe polish tint, unless there is a better way to tint the neck. I'm living with it for now and it is more appealing every day even though it is quite white looking.

Anxious to get the sunburst MF special edition. I hope it is as nice as the regular Tribute Legacy at the store near me, good quality, etc.

I think these are on sale according to the person at MF when I asked for a discount, which they usually give. They said it is on sale already so not discount would be applied. Usually they give me a decent discount, being a good customer.

The G&L USA locking tuners are not drop-in replacements.

The only difference between the Tribute and USA DF bridge is that the USA saddles are chrome plated brass saddles. The Tribute saddles are chrome plated die-cast saddles.
You can get saddles from the G&L On-Line Store.

Sure, you can discuss other pickups you are considering to use.

Are you sure that your Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow has an Ash top on Mahogany body? AFAIK, there were no Tributes with that body wood combination.
Yours should have a Swamp Ash body. What is the serial number?

As Dave said in the post referenced by Witsok:

Those are special Legacy models for Guitar Center so we won’t have them on our site. The bodies are flame maple veneer on mahogany,
the pickups are made in Indonesia to our specs (Alnico V magnets, right fiber, wire, turns). The neck is the same as other T/S Legacy models
with Clear Satin neck finish, the same DF vibrato, the same PTB system. We set them up here at G&L before shipping them to GC.
Really nice guitars, and at that price, we think they’re a killer deal.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:Thanks for the reply. I hope this turns out to be a cool guitar equal to the regular Tribute Legacy's.

The only difference between the Tribute and USA DF bridge is that the USA saddles are chrome plated brass saddles. The Tribute saddles are chrome plated die-cast saddles.

Are you sure that your Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow has an Ash top on Mahogany body? AFAIK, there were no Tributes with that body wood combination.

Those are special Legacy models for Guitar Center so we won’t have them on our site. The bodies are flame maple veneer on mahogany,
the pickups are made in Indonesia to our specs (Alnico V magnets, right fiber, wire, turns). The neck is the same as other T/S Legacy models
with Clear Satin neck finish, the same DF vibrato, the same PTB system. We set them up here at G&L before shipping them to GC.

Hope this helps.

The ASAT is probably all swamp ash, it's right here, I'll check.

The flamed maple special editions are on the G and L website under the Tribute section and indicated as MF, GC exclusives. Not deep details though. I'm not sure how to get deep details like a build sheet, etc.
I will post the serial number.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

The ASAT is probably all swamp ash, it's right here, I'll check.

The flamed maple special editions are on the G and L website under the Tribute section and indicated as MF, GC exclusives. Not deep details though. I'm not sure how to get deep details like a build sheet, etc.
I will post the serial number.

There are no build sheets included with the Tribute Series instruments.
The specifications are listed here: Legacy™ Flametop - Guitar Center / Musician's Friend Exclusive.

Please do add your G&L instruments to the G&L Registry.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:38 pm

I purchased the exclusive MF model, and just sent it back...Was like a cheap Squire guitar. Neck was unfinished, second fret was much higher than the first so had dead notes but did have a nice sunburst finish. The guitar I received did not look like the pictures on G&L.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:37 am

My sunburst one sounds fabulous and I really like the thin oil type finish of the neck. Using the awesome tone control knobs works great for tone shaping.

I had a professional set up done yesterday and put on a set of Rotosound Pure Nickel strings.

This is a really nice guitar with awesome tone. Too bad you didn't dig this.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I have an older Tribute ASAT Classic semi solid tele with the MFD pickup set, a really nice sunburst thick ash top and what looks like a thick mahogany back.

**********************Are you sure that your Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow has an Ash top on Mahogany body? AFAIK, there were no Tributes with that body wood combination.

The ASAT looks like it probably has an all swamp ash body.

The serial number is "070439548".

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Duffy wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I have an older Tribute ASAT Classic semi solid tele with the MFD pickup set, a really nice sunburst thick ash top and what looks like a thick mahogany back.

**********************Are you sure that your Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow has an Ash top on Mahogany body? AFAIK, there were no Tributes with that body wood combination.

The ASAT looks like it probably has an all swamp ash body.

The serial number is "070439548".

This indicates that your Tribute guitar was built in April of 2007. See: Serial number significance.
Please do add it to our G&L Registry.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:37 pm

RayA wrote:I purchased the exclusive MF model, and just sent it back...Was like a cheap Squire guitar. Neck was unfinished, second fret was much higher than the first so had dead notes but did have a nice sunburst finish. The guitar I received did not look like the pictures on G&L.

It sounds like the dealer sent you the wrong model. Do you have photos of what they sent you?
The Tribute Legacy Flametop will have a tinted gloss neck not a satin finished neck (it just feels unfinished).
Is the dealer replacing the guitar or are getting your money back?

1/20/2016: Update NOTE: the neck does have a clear satin finish. This was corrected on G&L's webpage and I have corrected my post here.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added update note regarding actual neck finish

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Duffy wrote:My sunburst one sounds fabulous and I really like the thin oil type finish of the neck. Using the awesome tone control knobs works great for tone shaping.

I had a professional set up done yesterday and put on a set of Rotosound Pure Nickel strings.

This is a really nice guitar with awesome tone. Too bad you didn't dig this.

Please post some photos and add it to our G&L Registry.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:24 pm

I received my Legacy Flametop from Guitar Center online and it came with a thin, satin, clear finished neck. G&L's website shows the guitar with a tinted gloss neck that looks nothing like what is stated in the specs. The gloss finish on the neck is one of the only reasons I purchased the guitar. I hate stain finished necks. So what gives? I'm not the only customer who has an issue with this. Even Craig, the site admin, states in the forum that this guitar has a tinted gloss neck.

- - -

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:11pm

RayA wrote:
I purchased the exclusive MF model, and just sent it back...Was like a cheap Squire guitar. Neck was unfinished, second fret was much higher than the first so had dead notes but did have a nice sunburst finish. The guitar I received did not look like the pictures on G&L.

Craig wrote:
It sounds like the dealer sent you the wrong model. Do you have photos of what they sent you?
The Tribute Legacy Flametop will have a tinted gloss neck not a satin finished neck (it just feels unfinished).
My GbL User Profile

- - -

I know G&L is a smaller company, but the fact that they don't have a phone number or direct customer service email listed on the website and only offer a third-party forum to get answers to simple questions is ridiculous. I love their guitars - but I'll be honest, customer services issues like this are a great way to sway customers to other guitar makers.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 pm

on here you get results when the dealer doesn't satisfy (dealer should be your first warranty contact ) ... just try talking to the president of Fender Musical Co on one of the Fender forums , good luck with that ....... quite the opposite here , the president of G&L comes on here often and positive results are made .....

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Captin Ned wrote:I received my Legacy Flametop from Guitar Center online and it came with a thin, satin, clear finished neck. G&L's website shows the guitar with a tinted gloss neck that looks nothing like what is stated in the specs. The gloss finish on the neck is one of the only reasons I purchased the guitar. I hate stain finished necks. So what gives? I'm not the only customer who has an issue with this. Even Craig, the site admin, states in the forum that this guitar has a tinted gloss neck.

- - -

RayA wrote:

Craig wrote:
My GbL User Profile

- - -

I know G&L is a smaller company, but the fact that they don't have a phone number or direct customer service email listed on the website and only offer a third-party forum to get answers to simple questions is ridiculous. I love their guitars - but I'll be honest, customer services issues like this are a great way to sway customers to other guitar makers.

I guess I added to the confusion when I said the Tribute Legacy Flametop has a tinted gloss neck even though I posted Dave's email to me about this model:
Hi Craig,

Thanks, Craig.

Dave.

The photos on MF/GC websites and G&L' s website for this exclusive model all look like they have tinted headstocks, so I said it was tinted glossy finish without rechecking what Dave had said [my brain fart]. :oops:
I will be checking with Dave about those photos. The reason Dave added the G&L webpage for this exclusive model was because MF/GC did not have the specs listed on their websites. I had also added this post:
2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models and have just corrected the error on the neck finish for the Tribute Legacy Flametop model.

I do sincerely apologize for causing this confusion.

Regarding G&L's support: there is a Support page on their main website which has a contact phone number and email address to Ben Rush. Here's the link: http://www.glguitars.com/support/index2.asp.
You need to contact the selling dealer first about any warranty issues. If you are not able to get it taken care of that dealer, then contact Ben.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks for your help, Craig. Ben emailed me and explained that they are aware of the situation and are updating the photos on G&L site.

As for the guitar itself, it's an amazing instrument at this price point. The build quality is solid, I really like the black trans finish, the pups sound good and are surprisingly quite, the factory setup was a little buzzy after the 9th fret (but acceptable), and the PTB system is awesome. The neck is fine if you like a lightly-colored blonde, satin finished necks. It's just not my thing. The tinted gloss neck in the original photos gave the guitar a real classy, vintage look, which I like. Unfortunately, I'll probably return this and get a regular Tribue, or USA model with a gloss neck.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 am

if you go for the USA it opens up the door for a whole bunch more options , neck width , nut width and type , radius , edge roll , tuners on top of the different finishes just to name a few

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:.

Please post some photos and add it to our G&L Registry.

Being errant I still need to take the pictures and do this. I have not been feeling particularly great but feel better now.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Craig wrote:
Captin Ned wrote:I received my Legacy Flametop from Guitar Center online and it came with a thin, satin, clear finished neck. G&L's website shows the guitar with a tinted gloss neck that looks nothing like what is stated in the specs. The gloss finish on the neck is one of the only reasons I purchased the guitar. I hate stain finished necks. So what gives? I'm not the only customer who has an issue with this. Even Craig, the site admin, states in the forum that this guitar has a tinted gloss neck.

- - -

RayA wrote:

:

I didn't experience the junk cheap Squire vibes. Mine is super awesome.

I might try applying some tan shoe polish to the neck, but probably not. Buffing the tan shoe polish has been reported to provide a decent tint.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:02 am

RayA wrote:I purchased the exclusive MF model, and just sent it back...Was like a cheap Squire guitar. Neck was unfinished, second fret was much higher than the first so had dead notes but did have a nice sunburst finish. The guitar I received did not look like the pictures on G&L.

Odd. Too bad you bummed out. Hopefully this won't be a continuing problem and things work out.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:14 am

I got mine. A very fine instrument. No buzzes, easily comparable with US Fenders IMO.
Can anyone confirm that the trem block is chrome plated brass? Or is it some sort of chrome plated die cast like the saddles?

The pickups sound nice, but I bought this guitar hoping to do some mods to the electronics.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:09 pm

JD0x0 wrote:I got mine. A very fine instrument. No buzzes, easily comparable with US Fenders IMO.
Can anyone confirm that the trem block is chrome plated brass? Or is it some sort of chrome plated die cast like the saddles?

The pickups sound nice, but I bought this guitar hoping to do some mods to the electronics.

The Tribute Series models with the DF Vibrato bridge have chrome plated die cast trem blocks like the saddles.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 pm

Craig wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:I got mine. A very fine instrument. No buzzes, easily comparable with US Fenders IMO.

The Tribute Series models with the DF Vibrato bridge have chrome plated die cast trem blocks like the saddles.

Thanks for the info!

Here's mine, now :D
3x G&L chrome plated brass (EBG strings) 3x aftermarket steel saddles (EAD strings)

Threw in a mixed set of noise canceling Bill and Becky Lawrence pickups. Kept all the original pots, switches and jack as their quality is fine. (says 'MightyMite' on the pots)