Neck and Bridge setup question

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Hey guys I just joined the group

I have my first G&L Lagacy sitting here on my lap.
Been wanting one for years. - I actually installed the G&L Trem Bridge on my Strats back in the 80's
have always like the set up. I eventually converted them to Floyd rose units which totally killed them (big mistake)..... Sadly they were sold back in the late 80's
a 1972 and a 73..... 300-400 a pop i think...

Question:

To get the string height right I have the bridge so low that it bottoms out when you try to press the vibrato arm down to any degree.
The truss rod adjustment looks spot on and the bridge saddles set low on the e's
Anyone see this before - My plan is to put a piece of shim stock under the neck and raise it a 1/16" or so.
The other option is to grind off the front section of the bridge post holes - It would end up looking more like a floyd rose mount.
(I did this back in the 80s on my strats and it worked really well.)
- Note_ while I can do either and make it look good I do set up my guitars for peak performance not ascetics.
Thoughts??

Thanks
Tom

Re: Neck and Bridge setup question

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:40 pm

is this a 3 bolt neck or 4 bolt ???? ..... I shim my 4 bolts to get action low without lowering the bridge ...... I just turn the allen screw on my 3 bolts

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:57 am

i used a business card shim under the heel of the neck, closest to the body, trimmed for size.
worked perfect. allowed more appropriate saddle heights. caution: tried 2 business cards stacked, was too much! go with 1.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:56 am

4 bolt neck

I tried a piece of sand paper and it worked perfect.
what a difference, I did not realize how bad the bridge was working.

I am not sure why these bridges have so much metal beyond the fulcrum points.
Seams you could make this similar to the newer fender units and alleviate the issue

I purchased this used on Ebay.... I'm not sure how the guy was playing it....

Thanks!!

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:09 am

my ASAT Deluxe with Bigsby took three business cards like it was set up for a Slide from the factory :)