Trem arm is too tight

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi all.

Looking for some help with this. Grub screw comes in and out no problem but the term arm is incredibly tight coming in and out. I think the nylon bush may be jammed. Can you guys tell me - should the bush come out? Should it be attached to the grub screw? Anybody ever have the nylon bush jammed or a similar term arm problem. Should I be able to screw the grub screw right in so that it pushes the nylon bush out into the trem arm socket. I had a look inside the socket - no obvious jam but the nylon bush is in there - but the edge looks pretty flush with the inside of the socket.

Cheers

Joe

Re: Trem arm is too tight

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Should have said - it's a US Legacy

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Jijoe68 wrote:Hi all.

Looking for some help with this. Grub screw comes in and out no problem but the term arm is incredibly tight coming in and out. I think the nylon bush may be jammed. Can you guys tell me - should the bush come out? Should it be attached to the grub screw? Anybody ever have the nylon bush jammed or a similar term arm problem. Should I be able to screw the grub screw right in so that it pushes the nylon bush out into the trem arm socket. I had a look inside the socket - no obvious jam but the nylon bush is in there - but the edge looks pretty flush with the inside of the socket.

Cheers

Joe

Tske out the trem bar and the set screw. Then try pushing the bushing out from the inside (where bar is inserted) with a small screw driver. Hopefully this
will free up the wedged bushing. Check to see if the bushing is still useable and can be re-inserted into the screw hole. You might also want to see if the trem bar
swings freely in the socket without the bushing and set screw. If it's too tight, it might be the wrong size trem bar for the socket. What year is your guitar?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for your advice Craig - much appreciated.
I did exactly what you recommended and the nylon bush popped out.
The trem arm goes in snug now without the bush.
The bush is a bit mangled but I put it back in to protect the arm.
I think the guitar is a 1995 or 96.
I'll register it here as well.

Cheers again

Joe