Tremolo

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:16 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, Craig.

On my LE-2, which has the DFS tremolo, I use strings that are slightly heavier on the lower end, .01-.48 ( and sometimes to .50).

For my guitar to stay in tune, the tremolo is not level with the body, it rises up and is higher in the back. I would like it to get more parallel as this would give me better and proper performance and lower the action on the high notes.

Do you think the solution would be to add more springs on the tremolo? I've also seen pictures of a special spring that some people use in the middle position? What's that and what does it do?

Thx,

Alf

Re: Tremolo

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:31 am

Hi Alf,

You need to tighten the woodscrews on the trem "claw", they are on the left in this photo

Tightening them will bring the bridge parallel, loosening will increase the angle

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:35 am

thanks.....do you suggest I do this while the guitar is strung at tension? Perhaps loosen the strings (detune), a bit.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:08 am

I always do it at full tension. The trem claw is used for minor adjustments, adding another spring will have a more dramatic effect, for that I would detune.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:21 am

thx again, Paul!!

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:23 am

No problem Alf.

Lefties do it Right :alright:

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:37 am

yep , been using 10-52's and it does the same thing , keep adjusting the claw while re-tuning until it's level is how I do it too , once level and in tune I will put the cover back on

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:09 am

No room for extra springs anyway

I like this much better, about 3 twists on each screw.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:26 am

Well done !

(Hey Southpawguy ,what ax is in the pic? I see the '91 date sticker...I didn't know they still used
them in '91. )

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:31 am

Elwood wrote:Well done !

(Hey Southpawguy ,what ax is in the pic? I see the '91 date sticker...I didn't know they still used
them in '91. )

No idea, I did a google search for G&L trem cavity and used that photo. It is on the forum though.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:32 am

thread is here ... viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2890

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:59 am

gotcha....thanks.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:15 pm

astutzmann wrote:I've also seen pictures of a special spring that some people use in the middle position? What's that and what does it do?

Thx,

Alf

See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: What's the logic behind the Leo era copper tremolo spring?.

:ugeek:

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Alf may also be referring to a "tremsetter" that some people use to stabilize a trem. They came standard in my Strat Plus. -- Darwin

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Good job Alf. Looks great!

As an alternative of adding springs, one could mount either or both outer springs diagonally, thereby stretching them a bit more. personally I like the straight mount better, but I've seen cavities with diagonal springs.

- Jos