s500 MFD pickups problem

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am

I've just received a second hand s500 from ebay, but I'm having some problems with the pickups. Whenever I would try s500 the pickups sounded fuller and had more bass than alnico pickups. Mine have more output than alnico, but LESS bass, and are very trebly. Neck sounds almost like middle, middle like bridge, and you can imagine how bridge pickup must sound :shock:
As the guitar is without factory serial, I figured it wasn't an original, but the body and the neck seem to be original USA made parts. Also the pickups. I was just wondering did perhaps G&L make different MFD pickups (not counting wide ones in ASAT special)? Or perhaps it might be a wiring problem as the guitar has typical Vol/Tone/Tone setup rather than Vol/Tone/Bass.
As this is not an original G&L guitar it might not be a question for this forum, but I was hoping someone might help if they had similar issues.
Guitar is s500 deluxe with (swamp) ash body and maple top, maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

Re: s500 MFD pickups problem

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm

My guess is they removed the 1000pF cap when they modded the wiring. The cap lowers the pickup's resonant frequency, and makes them sound less brittle and harsh, with more perceived mids and bottom.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 pm

spiro2903 wrote:I've just received a second hand s500 from ebay, but I'm having some problems with the pickups. Whenever I would try s500 the pickups sounded fuller and had more bass than alnico pickups. Mine have more output than alnico, but LESS bass, and are very trebly. Neck sounds almost like middle, middle like bridge, and you can imagine how bridge pickup must sound :shock:
As the guitar is without factory serial, I figured it wasn't an original, but the body and the neck seem to be original USA made parts. Also the pickups. I was just wondering did perhaps G&L make different MFD pickups (not counting wide ones in ASAT special)? Or perhaps it might be a wiring problem as the guitar has typical Vol/Tone/Tone setup rather than Vol/Tone/Bass.
As this is not an original G&L guitar it might not be a question for this forum, but I was hoping someone might help if they had similar issues.
Guitar is s500 deluxe with (swamp) ash body and maple top, maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

JD0x0 wrote:My guess is they removed the 1000pF cap when they modded the wiring. The cap lowers the pickup's resonant frequency, and makes them sound less brittle and harsh, with more perceived mids and bottom.

See the schematic and photo diagram we have in our Gallery. Here's the link to the S-500: Album: S-500 Diagrams.
I would check to see what wiring and control changes might have been done.

The main difference between the S-500 and the S-500 Deluxe, is that the S-500 Deluxe has the controls rear loaded (no pickguard) and the pickups are routed individual in the body.
Here are links to the G&L spec pages for each: S-500 Deluxe and S-500.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Thank you, this does help indeed. I didn't know they had an extra 1000pF cap in there. I'll soldier it and see what happens. From the schematics it would seem it rolls of some of the shrill highs. I got this one relatively cheap, but probably should have saved money a few more months and got an actual original one...live and learn I guess.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:53 am

spiro2903 wrote:As the guitar is without factory serial, I figured it wasn't an original, but the body and the neck seem to be original USA made parts.

Do you have pictures?
If the serial number isn't on the head stock ist might be here: http://www.wuell.net/albums/GL-Legacy/IMG_3268.jpg

On very old ones, but not for the S-500, here: http://www.wuell.net/albums/SC-2/IMG_4629.jpg