Is Paul Gagon Bluesboy Tribute HB splittable

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi,

First post here. I recently purchased an ASAT Tribute Bluesboy. I just unscrewed to tone/vol plate and noticed a black wire coming from the neck humbucker that was coiled and wrapped and not connected to anything. My question is: what is this wire for and is it possible that it allows splitting the neck humbucker?

TIA,

Mike

Re: Is Paul Gagon Bluesboy Tribute HB splittable

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:35 am

themikeaustin wrote:Hi,

First post here. I recently purchased an ASAT Tribute Bluesboy. I just unscrewed to tone/vol plate and noticed a black wire coming from the neck humbucker that was coiled and wrapped and not connected to anything. My question is: what is this wire for and is it possible that it allows splitting the neck humbucker?

TIA,

Mike

Yes. the G&L AS4255C humbucker pickup does have the coil tap. As you noted the Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy neck pickup is not wired for coil splitting and that
is why the black wire is wrapped. The same pickup is also used on the Tribute Ascari GTS and it is wired for coil splitting.

See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars and Tribute Ascari GTS and Fiorano GTS Wiring Diagram.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks, Craig! I suppose the next questions are:

1. How usable is the split coil, especially when used with the bridge PU? How closely would it approximate an ASAT Classic?
2. If I want a guitar tech to make the PU splittable, is there enough information on this web site to help him/her do it right? It looks like, IIRC, the pots are 500K for both pickups. Will that work for the split coil?

TIA,

Mike

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:33 pm

themikeaustin wrote:Thanks, Craig! I suppose the next questions are:

1. How usable is the split coil, especially when used with the bridge PU? How closely would it approximate an ASAT Classic?
2. If I want a guitar tech to make the PU splittable, is there enough information on this web site to help him/her do it right? It looks like, IIRC, the pots are 500K for both pickups. Will that work for the split coil?

TIA,

Mike

1. Since the G&L humbucker is an Alnico V pickup and the ASAT Classic neck pickup is an MFD, the split coil of the humbucker will not be a articulate and
a bit thinner sounding.

2. Yes, there is enough info in our Gallery. The ASAT Classic Bluesboy models have 250k pots. The Tribute Ascari GTS has 500k pots. I'd recommend going
with a push/pull pot for the coil tap, because you won't have to drill the control plate for the mini-toggle switch. The G&L On-Line Store carries them. Here's the
link to them: POT - TRIBUTE SERIES - PUSH/PULL.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: