S/C sized humbucker for Legacy

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:53 am

Since getting my ASAT's, I find that if I want to hear a single coil bridge tone, it's gonna be on an ASAT. But I still LOVE my Legacy. Its a 3 bolt USA, I think a 1993. I am seriously thinking about putting a sincle coil sized humbucker in the bridge position. Buying a strat sized humbucker keeps me from having to buy a new pickguard. I'd rather it sound legit and will buy one if need be, but if theres a decent sounding s/c sized humbucker that 1. works with the stock PTB electronics, 2. Sounds good and 3. splits(4 wire) acceptably for the 4 position, please recommend it to me!

I put the expander switch mod in my Legacy 15 years ago, along with a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues bridge pickup. I'd use the mini toggle to split the coils for the 4 position.

Re: S/C sized humbucker for Legacy

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 pm

I got this one for my strat and really dig it. It has a nice crunchy twang to it and is very clean & crisp.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

bigben wrote:Since getting my ASAT's, I find that if I want to hear a single coil bridge tone, it's gonna be on an ASAT. But I still LOVE my Legacy. Its a 3 bolt USA, I think a 1993. I am seriously thinking about putting a sincle coil sized humbucker in the bridge position. Buying a strat sized humbucker keeps me from having to buy a new pickguard. I'd rather it sound legit and will buy one if need be, but if theres a decent sounding s/c sized humbucker that 1. works with the stock PTB electronics, 2. Sounds good and 3. splits(4 wire) acceptably for the 4 position, please recommend it to me!

I put the expander switch mod in my Legacy 15 years ago, along with a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues bridge pickup. I'd use the mini toggle to split the coils for the 4 position.

I replied on another forum, might as well post it here also ....

How about the Gotoh Power Blade that comes stock in the Legacy Special ? It responds well to height adjustments. Near the strings it can rock out with ease, set low it sounds a bit more strat like. And of course it works with the PTB controls. I seem to recall reading on the G&L forum that it can be split for single coil or parallel.

I have two Specials, the cherry burst has the pickups set low, sounds much more like a strat, though the in between positions aren't as good as on an alnico V equipped Legacy. The blue one has the pickups set a lot higher, no problem pulling off rock or classic metal tones with that one.

gratuitous pics.

And there is also the DiMarzio Injector. It doesn't sound as fat or full as the Gotohs, but it does retain a lot more of the quack when combined with an Area 67 in the middle. I have that setup in a Legacy and an EBMM Silo Special.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Another possibility to consider is simply to put bridge-and-middle-in-series in place of the bridge-only selection, using the stock Legacy bridge pickup.
A bit of wiring at the 5-way (needs a 4-pole 5-way, like Allparts sell) but no big difficulty to do.
Sounds chunky and big, but with a very single-coil snarl to it. Probably best if you don't change any pot values.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Thinking the Legacy Special pickup is my best option. Question: the G&L Store sells "Paul Gabon dual blades" for $79.99. I thought Gotoh made these pickups, but I cannot find the Gotoh Dual Blades for sale anywhere. Anyone know enough to elaborate? Are the the same?

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

bigben wrote:Thinking the Legacy Special pickup is my best option. Question: the G&L Store sells "Paul Gabon dual blades" for $79.99. I thought Gotoh made these pickups, but I cannot find the Gotoh Dual Blades for sale anywhere. Anyone know enough to elaborate? Are the the same?

First of all, let's get Paul's name correct: It's Paul Gagon. Here is a link to his bio on G&L website: About Paul Gagon.

Paul designed the Legacy Special pickups and Gotoh builds them for G&L. So, yes the ones in the G&l On-Line Store are the same ones that G&L uses on the Legacy Special and Invader models.
IMO, the POWER BLADE HUMBUCKER would be an excellent replacement pickup for the the bridge pickup in your Legacy.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:51 am

Dang autocorrect ;-)

So, did Paul design those FOR G&L or for Gotoh? They've been putting them in Legacy specials a pretty long time. And Gotoh still makes and sells them. If I bought a Gotoh Power Blades pickup off ebay, is it the same as the one I could get from the G&L store?

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 am

bigben wrote:Dang autocorrect ;-)

So, did Paul design those FOR G&L or for Gotoh? They've been putting them in Legacy specials a pretty long time. And Gotoh still makes and sells them. If I bought a Gotoh Power Blades pickup off ebay, is it the same as the one I could get from the G&L store?

Specifically for G&L, see: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 145#p63145.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 am

Thank you. Im glad I posted the question, as I was going to buy a Gotoh Power Blades pickup off ebay. I now know that one will not be the same as what's in a Legacy Special and the one G&L sells will be. I KNOW that one works well with the Legacy and its PTB controls/electronics and was designed to do so, so that will be what I probably get. Thanks again

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:04 pm

the pickups from the legacy special are fantastic. they are very powerful and sound great in that guitar. i was very impressed with mine. it's the only guitar i own that i did not change the pickups.