Fretboard maintenance

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:40 pm

I have a couple of guitars with rosewood boards, and they seem to get very gunky, whereas my maple fretboard guitars don't. It seems like maple usually gets a thicker finish than rosewood. What about ebony, how well does it resist gunk build up? It sure does look nice.
Last edited by Craig on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Relocated post to the Knowledgebase.

Re: Fretboard maintenance

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 pm

art wrote:I have a couple of guitars with rosewood boards, and they seem to get very gunky, whereas my maple fretboard guitars don't. It seems like maple usually gets a thicker finish than rosewood. What about ebony, how well does it resist gunk build up? It sure does look nice.

Only the maple fretboards get finished with either the satin finish or gloss finish, depending upon the neck finish. The non-Maple boards are lightly oiled (not sure which product the factory uses).

All fretboards need regular maintenance with the maple fretboard being the easiest to maintain. I just use a water damp soft cloth on all fretboard types.
On the Rosewood, Ebody, and Pao Farro fretboards I use Walnut Oil on those fretboards which show signs of drying out. Use of Walnut Oil was a suggestion by member KenC,
so search on Walnut Oil and author KenC and you should find his posts with the specific procedure he uses.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: Fretboard maintenance

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks Craig!

PS - I keep telling myself that I need to check the knowledgebase before I post!