Jerry Cantrell Rampage Tb-4 JB wiring color code

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello, maybe Craig can ask someone at the factory about this, but I was just looking at the control cavity of my US made Jerry Cantrell Rampage with the TB-4 JB humbucker and the color codes of this particular pickup on this guitar seem different than what's normal. As per this wiring diagram http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... temId=8627 and from Seymour Duncan's website the color codes of a Seymour Duncan pickup are -

Black = North Start -> Hot Output
White = North Finish -> Put together with Red for series link
Red = South Finish -> Put together with White for series link
Green = South Start -> Ground

So normally you put black on the first lug of the pot, white and red should be soldered together and taped, and green and bare to the back of the volume pot. Simple.

But on my Rampage, red is on the first lug of the pot, black and green are taped together, and white and bare go on the back of the volume pot. But the pickup works fine, and it says Seymour Duncan on the bobbin so it must be a Seymour Duncan pickup... How can it be? :confused0007:

Re: Jerry Cantrell Rampage Tb-4 JB wiring color code

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 pm

If I'm thinking right...it seems it's wired with one coil reverse phase ( if the pickup follows the seymour color scheme ).

Are you wondering if it might have a stronger signal if that coil was reversed? I am :)
Hopefully Craig will be able to confirm or add some info.

elwood

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:23 am

Black = North Start -> Hot Output
White = North Finish -> Put together with Red for series link
+
Red = South Finish -> Put together with White for series link
Green = South Start -> Ground

is electrically identical to

Red = South Finish -> Hot
Green = South Start -> Center
+
Black = North Start -> Center
White = North Finish -> Ground

The Rampage simply has the coils stacked the other way round (but no phase reversal and such), it doesn't matter.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Oh... thank you for enlightening me on this one George. So is there any reason, however small, why one would stack the coil the other way or is there absolutely no difference at all?

Sun May 10, 2015 7:05 pm

I have a Fender Heartfield Elan II that uses a 5 way super switch. I'm sure this method is also used in other guitars.This coil change allows the switch to use positions 2 an4 to switch in noise canceling, humbucking. If the stacking wasn't changed it would give a North+ North coil and void the noise cancelling. While with the coil stacking change it give N+S coils and "humbucking". The coils switched in are the outer coils of the humbucker and outer (closest to the neck and bridge) and inner/inner coils. Inner coils are a Strat simulation and outers are a Tele simulation. Hope that helps.