Output Jack has aditional tip?

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:46 pm

I purchased a new 0utput jack from G&L store which arrived today. The jack has three tips, the one I'm replacing had two. I assume its a stereo jack where my setup is mono. There is a short, medium and outer tip, the latter is the ground I assume. None of them are marked, and there was no schematic.

1. Can I ground the extra tip and use it on my mono setup?
2. Which tip should I run to the volume pot? Short or medium??

Id hate to electricue myself :shocked003:

Thank you, Dave.

Re: Output Jack has aditional tip?

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:08 am

Simple check for this:
Get a jack cord. One jack into your amp, the other into your new socket.
Touch each of the unknown terminals with a finger, or (e.g.) small screwdriver held by the metal if access is tight.
The one that buzzes is the hot connection to the guitar's circuit, and the earth one you already know.

Don't worry about the unused one, just leave it alone. Don't connect it. If it does get connected to the hot, all your signal will almost certainly stop, since that terminal will be connected to ground once a mono jack is inserted.

You can't be electrocuted by fiddling with a guitar's circuit (I suspect you know this....)
But amps, of course, are different :shocked003: :shocked028: :shocked003:

Never have young children around when working on an amp; they will learn the language you use when you touch live bits, and and this will cause you embarrassment later.
PS I had been unsure of where I first heard that; it was Randall Aiken, I'm now fairly certain.