Legacy USA - Should I shim?

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi, I recently purchased a used '10 Legacy USA..trying to set up to factory specs (DF bridge 2/16" from body, relief .010" at 8th fret with 1st and 22nd fretted) and I can't get the low E to be 5/64" at 12th fret, even with the Low E saddle bottomed out on the bridge.

Is this an indication that I should shim the neck?

Also..if the neck isn't properly level in the neck pocket, would this affect my relief measurement? I'm measuring .010" as mentioned above, but it feels like there's more relief in the neck.

Thanks,
David

Re: Legacy USA - Should I shim?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 am

Yes, I would shim, I have done many, then do a setup and adjust the relief to your liking. I prefer about .006 in. -- Darwin

Re: Legacy USA - Should I shim?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:29 am

The fit in the neck pocket won't affect the relief measurement, which is entirely confined to the neck itself.

It's not clear whether 5/64 at fret 12 is meant to be taken with a capo at the first fret (so as to take the nut setup out of the equation) or not. My guess is not, as that figure is close to what I find works well with .006 of relief and no capo. I do prefer to take the measurement (which will obviously have a slightly different result) with a capo at the first; if I file a nut at all, I always do it last in a setup, and don't want its height to confuse anything in the meantime.

Perhaps you should try a smaller relief, such as the .006-ish that Darwin and I speak of, and see if that gets you your 5/64, it just might.
But if not, then shim. Don't expect much less relief to work well.
Go easy getting the neck out - some can be pretty tight in there! Just winkle it out patiently, gently and slowly if so. Careful in the last moments before it comes away too, so you don't ping a bit of finish just when you thought it was all over....