saddle problem

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:03 pm

I have a recent ASAT Deluxe Semi hollow and the high string saddle is wearing down. The guitar has the G&L Saddle-Lock Chrome bridge.

I get a slight ring on the high string. My Luthier suggests I replace the saddle.

Where can I buy a replacement saddle? The G&L store is out of stock.

Any suggestions or does anyone have one they will sell? Does anyone make aftermarket parts for this guitar?

Thanks,

Charley

Re: saddle problem

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:00 pm

if you remove the saddle, you can probably smooth out the worn groove with a small piece 600 grit sandpaper wrapped on an E string...rub it in the groove a few times. Hold it in a vise...

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Don't do anything with the saddles without first loosening the set screw on the treble side of the bridge! I'd start by loosening the set screw and checking to be sure all of the saddle height adjustment screws are resting firmly on the bridge plate (back them out and then tighten them until you feel contact being made, one at a time). Then I would tighten the set screw until it is snug, and check to see if the ringing is still there.

It seems odd to me that a saddle could wear out, especially on a fairly new guitar.

Ken

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:08 am

KenC wrote:Don't do anything with the saddles without first loosening the set screw on the treble side of the bridge! I'd start by loosening the set screw and checking to be sure all of the saddle height adjustment screws are resting firmly on the bridge plate (back them out and then tighten them until you feel contact being made, one at a time). Then I would tighten the set screw until it is snug, and check to see if the ringing is still there.

It seems odd to me that a saddle could wear out, especially on a fairly new guitar.

Ken

+1, especially the bit about the saddle wearing out - unless you have a b-bender on there I can't imagine that this would ever happen, let alone on a newish guitar.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:49 am

I will try the suggestions and post my results. The "ping" on the high E string is so annoying...

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:14 am

I would switch out the saddle of the high E with the low E.

Will

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 pm

charleyrich wrote: The "ping" on the high E string is so annoying...

Now that you mention a "ping", a bit more info may be helpful. When exactly do you hear the sound? Is it after tuning, or after doing a lot of bending? Is the string in tune after you hear the sound?

Ken

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

I hear the ping on all frets of the high e string. Although, the ping is more pronounced the higher up the neck, especially after the 12th fret. It is also more pronounced during a string bend.
The ping is there with old and new strings. I was using Thomastik and tried Ernie ball, gauge 11 with the same results.

--Charley

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:37 am

Ken's reply gives me an idea; with the side-screw still tightened, try feeling the tightness of the individual saddle-height screws with an allen key.
You may find that one is not making contact!
The Saddle-Lock works properly when the saddles are "flat", i.e. although their heights differ. to get the string camber you want, their tops aren't cambered. Staggered, but flat.
Otherwise, if the actual saddles are at angles, when you tighten up the assembly, it will attempt to straighten up and then screws can come away from the baseplate and will very likely make odd noises.
Or the edge of an actual saddle can buzz against its neighbour if the assembly isn't straight.
There's no practical, musical reason to angle the saddles; it doesn't make anything better, and causes these problems instead.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:28 pm

I solved the problem by taking advice from the forum. I switched the high E saddle with the low E and the problem on the high E string is gone.

Thank you!

Thanks,

Charley

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am

Will for the win!