usa asat volume pot replacement please?

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:17 am

Hi. I think I need to replace the volume pot on my USA made asat classic made in 2013.
Can anyone tell me what pot would be a good replacement as I am in the UK and can't buy one from the G&L online shop because it is US only.
The national distributor over here is really bad to deal with and very expensive.
Is there a CTS solid shaft pot that would fit perfectly does anyone know.
Thanks for your help.

Re: usa asat volume pot replacement please?

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:37 am

unclefreaky wrote:Hi. I think I need to replace the volume pot on my USA made asat classic made in 2013.
Can anyone tell me what pot would be a good replacement as I am in the UK and can't buy one from the G&L online shop because it is US only.
The national distributor over here is really bad to deal with and very expensive.
Is there a CTS solid shaft pot that would fit perfectly does anyone know.
Thanks for your help.

Can you describe the problem you are having with the volume pot? If the guitar is stock and the wiring has not been altered,
the volume pot should not have failed in such a short time.

Did you purchase this guitar new from a G&L dealer? If the pot is defective (or some other part) the original owner does have a
10 year warranty.

Not sure why you think the G&L On-Line store is US only. They ship globally.
You have two shipping options: UPS or USPS (US postal service). Shipping outside of the USA is usually
cheaper via USPS.

:ugeek:

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:58 am

Hi Thanks.

I have posted on here before about this problem with my guitar but never managed to get to the bottom of it.

It has a fairly loud crackle sound when turning the volume pot but only when NOT touching the strings, bridge,tuners or control plate.
It was suggested that I had a ground problem but I had the guitar tested by a tech at my local guitar shop who said there is no problem with the grounding on the guitar and suggested I just spray some switch cleaner in the pot. I did this but it didn't solve the problem.

I don't think it's static caused by the pickguard as I have tried removing the pickguard and the problem was the same with no pickguard.

I did buy the guitar new and had it shipped over here to the UK so the warranty is useless here as the UK distributor will not repair guitars under warranty if they weren't bought through them. When I discussed it with them previously they said i should have bought it from them so they couldn't help me.

On the G&L support page it says this about the online store.
In the US, please visit our online store or contact your local G&L dealer. Outside the US, please contact your national distributor.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:10 am

Unclefreaky, I do suspect that you may have a static problem with the pickguard. If you run your fingers across the pickguard do you get a crackling noise? If so , I would put aluminum sticky tape on the back of the pickguard. I have had to do this with several of my G&Ls. There are posts on how to do this. Just search on pickguard static. I would be surprised if it were the pot but eliminate the easiest possibilities first. -- Darwin

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:14 am

Would that still make sense even if it still happens without the pickguard on at all. I took it off for a few days and the problem remained the same.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:17 am

unclefreaky wrote:Hi Thanks.

I have posted on here before about this problem with my guitar but never managed to get to the bottom of it.

It has a fairly loud crackle sound when turning the volume pot but only when NOT touching the strings, bridge,tuners or control plate.
It was suggested that I had a ground problem but I had the guitar tested by a tech at my local guitar shop who said there is no problem with the grounding on the guitar and suggested I just spray some switch cleaner in the pot. I did this but it didn't solve the problem.

I don't think it's static caused by the pickguard as I have tried removing the pickguard and the problem was the same with no pickguard.

I did buy the guitar new and had it shipped over here to the UK so the warranty is useless here as the UK distributor will not repair guitars under warranty if they weren't bought through them. When I discussed it with them previously they said i should have bought it from them so they couldn't help me.

On the G&L support page it says this about the online store.
In the US, please visit our online store or contact your local G&L dealer. Outside the US, please contact your national distributor.

I would recheck all the grounds of the controls, since it really does sound like there is a ground issue. Since you say it only happens when you
don't touch the strings or bridge or tuners or control plate, you cannot really say that the problem is with the volume pot. When you eliminate the
loud crackle sound by touching the parts mentioned, you are acting as a ground. Perhaps there is a cold solder joint which would require the
soldered connection(s) to be resoldered. I would do that first before replacing the pot.

Just my $0.02.

:ugeek:

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 am

Sorry, your right. I missed the Aast Classic part. Easy to remove and play without pickguard. Craig has a great post. I would do all that. -- Darwin

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks guys for taking the time to think about this issue for me.

It sounds like I will have to take it to a guitar tech and try again as checking the grounding etc is beyond my capabilities.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm reasonably certain that what's happening is that the shaft of your volume pot, and the attached metal knob, have only an intermittent ground connection, probably due to lubricant on the shaft insulating it.
When your body is grounded by touching a grounded part of the guitar, this problem would disappear.
My first quick and inexpensive suggestion would be to obtain a suitable, solid-shaft, 250kOhm audio track CTS replacement from Allparts or WD, or just have the tech of your choice order it.
I think there is a very good chance of this solving your problem. You just have an unlucky pot.
And an honest tech won't charge much for a little soldering. Go to a real tech, though, so you don't get any solder on your guitar's finish....