String Gauge Question

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Hello,

I just bought a G&L Telecaster and I love it!

However, I'm finding the string gauge a bit too light for my playing style, so I'm thinking of switching to some 11's, specifically a set of DAddario-EXL115's.

These are what I'm thinking of getting:
http://www.amazon.ca/DAddario-EXL115-4P ... 2211-49%22

To all of you who have switched to higher gauge strings, what's been your experience? Any tips?
Should I go with 11-49 (as above) or some other combination (i.e. 11-56)?

By the way, when (if) I switch I'm going to take my guitar into a really good guitar shop to have it set up perfectly for the new strings.

Re: String Gauge Question

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm still using 10s (Curt Mangan Pure Nickle), but if you need a referral for a great guitar tech, try Nicole Alosinac.
http://www.nicolealosinacluthiery.com/
She's worked on all of Randy Bachman's guitars. She did a great setup on mine.

Did you buy your G&L new? If so, I'm curious which shop you used.

Post some pics and enter it in the registry here.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Should be no trouble, especially when you use a good luthier for any needed nut adjustments. I have an ASAT Classic and a Legacy Special with EXL-115's on them. The former is tuned in open-G though, the latter sonically improved quite a bit with some "chunkier" strings on it after sounding somewhat anemic with the original 9's on it.

- Jps

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks guys!
Looks like I'll go for it then.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Um, are all of those yours? Or do you suffer from Taylor lust? Of course, if they are yours, I have Taylor envy! :shock:

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 am

fianoman wrote:Um, are all of those yours? Or do you suffer from Taylor lust? Of course, if they are yours, I have Taylor envy! :shock:

LOL!
No I just needed a quick picture.

BTW, I just changed it, so now people are going to wonder what you're talking about. Sorry about that.
;)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:35 am

suave eddie wrote:Did you buy your G&L new?

No, I bought it used, but the guy who sold it to me had barely touched it (the strings weren't even broken in yet). He included the certificate and all of the paperwork too. By the way, it's an ASAT special and the body is swamp ash (see my "new" avatar).

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:14 am

QUICK UPDATE

I picked up my telecaster yesterday. The 11's sound amazing! I really love it.
:D
However, I wouldn't recommend it if you're mainly playing lead or do a lot of solos.
For me though, it really suits my playing style.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:17 pm

I've got 11's on all my guitars. Really like them. A couple of my G&L's barely needed to be adjusted, when I moved up to the 11's

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:42 am

I roll with the EXL115w with the wound G string
For reasons unbeknownst to me, tele type guitars sound or play best for me with wound G strings.
Fun to bend too :D

To actually answer one of your questions...
When I took my ASAT into the shop for setup with the .11 strings they said it took to them like it was made for it.

Oh and as I learned on an acoustic the heavy strings were actually more comfortable for me.
In fact now I'm playing .13 on my acoustic.