Squealing ASAT& Ascari

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 am

I have a BEE U TEE FUL Butterscotch/birds eye ASAT Semi that is my pride & joy......The Bridge PU SQUEALS at anything approaching high volume. It's obviously "vintage" style .wound with string and not potted in any way.....Would It help for ME to wax pot it, or would that destroy the tone (it sounds wonderful until you turn it up too loud) Or should I just replace it with a more modern design that doesn't SCREECH when you turn it up???? Also the humbuckers on my Ascari Squeel like hell on any kind of high gain.What's going on here? The Ascari is SUPPOSED to be a HOT guitar. And it squeals like a pig on anything like high gain. I have Seymore Duncan Humbuckers that NEVER screech even if you stick it in front of the amp at FULL GAIN......What's UP with these squealing guitars.....Oh.BTW.....I'm not talking huge volumes. All my amps are "low power" My biggest one is 30 watts. But you put it on the crunch channel and the PU's go wild.....help please......
Last edited by Craig on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin relocated post to a more appropriate sub-forum.

Re: Squealing ASAT& Ascari

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 am

Paul Zahl wrote:I have a BEE U TEE FUL Butterscotch/birds eye ASAT Semi that is my pride & joy......The Bridge PU SQUEALS at anything approaching high volume. It's obviously "vintage" style .wound with string and not potted in any way.....Would It help for ME to wax pot it, or would that destroy the tone (it sounds wonderful until you turn it up too loud) Or should I just replace it with a more modern design that doesn't SCREECH when you turn it up???? Also the humbuckers on my Ascari Squeel like hell on any kind of high gain.What's going on here? The Ascari is SUPPOSED to be a HOT guitar. And it squeals like a pig on anything like high gain. I have Seymore Duncan Humbuckers that NEVER screech even if you stick it in front of the amp at FULL GAIN......What's UP with these squealing guitars.....Oh.BTW.....I'm not talking huge volumes. All my amps are "low power" My biggest one is 30 watts. But you put it on the crunch channel and the PU's go wild.....help please......

Your ASAT Semi-Hollow and Ascari pickups would have been wax potted, but over time the wax can dry out and would need to be re-potted.
See these posts in the Knowledgebase:

squealinga and feedback
My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions?
Can you take the covers of the Ascari humbuckers easily?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: