Making the tremolo of a Legacy to "dive only"?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi,

I have a '92 Legacy that I love.. But it's giving me headache. I would like to use drop d-tuning every once in a while but hate to do so 'cos it requires a full tuning on all strings. So I was thinking of blocking the whole tremolo.

But then again.. I like to use the tremolo. So, is it possible to make the tremolo to "dive only" so I could use alternative tunings while still be able to use the tremolo?

Re: Making the tremolo of a Legacy to "dive only"?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:02 pm

i put a block of brazilian cherry between the vibrato block and guitar body on my legacy special. you have to measure and tweak to get the proper size to where the bridge sits flat. i used epoxy to secure it. it is easy to pop the block off if you ever want to go back to stock.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:20 pm

teefus wrote:i put a block of brazilian cherry between the vibrato block and guitar body on my legacy special. you have to measure and tweak to get the proper size to where the bridge sits flat. i used epoxy to secure it. it is easy to pop the block off if you ever want to go back to stock.

Do you have a photo of it?

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 pm

you can see the block of wood between the vibrato block and the guitar body. i cut it a tiny bit too thick and used a stationary belt sander to get it perfect. epoxy will hold it well but it can be popped off if necessary.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks for the photo! I assume it's not very "deep" to allow you to dive? You don't happen to have any measurements?

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:55 am

sorry no measurements. the block does not have to be very big. i matched the depth of the wood body that would impact the vibrato block and made my wood block that tall and maybe 2" wide.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 pm

See: How do I block the tremelo on my guitar?.

:ugeek: