Problem with dual fulcrum bridge

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:15 am

Hi everyone!

I have a G&L Legacy Tribute guitar, and it has a problem with the bridge. If I push the handle down, the bridge stays down - not as much as I pressed, but anyway. If I pull the handle up, the bridge stays up. It feels like it moves rather freely a little bit around normal position, making tuning/playing impossible. The strings I use are 10s and I have 3 springs installed.

I appreciate any advise on how to fix that, what to look for, etc. before I disassemble the guitar. I'd like to fix it myself.

Thanks!

Re: Problem with dual fulcrum bridge

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Sorry you're having trouble.

I use Fender Super Bullet strings, 9-42 gauge, on all my G&L guitars with the DF Vibrato. The Bullet end does seem to help with tuning stability.

Try some Big Bend's Nut Sauce in the nut slots. Tiny amount, even if you have a graphite nut.

Remove the back cover, and make sure the area is clean. You can use canned air to blow out any debris.

Use the Nut Sauce (or a drop of 3-In-One oil) on the vibrato claw where the springs fit the claw. Small amount, wipe of the excess.

I like to use a product called Tri-Flow on the springs. You can spray it on or wipe it one with a cloth, just remove any excess.

A touch of Nut Sauce where each of the springs contact the vibrato block.

Replace the back cover. I know a lot of guys like to remove them, but it does help keep dust, dirt and lint away from this area.

With the strings completely slack or removed, check for any play in the two vibrato posts. If the fit is loose and sloppy, use plumber's Teflon tape to reduce the play. (You can search the Tech Tips for this trick.)

A TINY shot of Tri-Flo, or Nut Sauce, on the knife edges of the vibrato plate where they contact the posts.

A tiny dab of Nut Sauce where the string crosses the apex of each saddle.

If you are not using Fender Bullet strings, be sure the wrap end of the string is not touching the apex of the saddle. This can also indicate that your bridge setup is off. If the guitar needs a setup, follow the G&L set-up instructions EXACTLY. (You can find them in the GALLERY.)

Closely inspect the Vibrato Plate as you move the Vibrato. The front edge of the Vibrato Plate should clear the pickguard with no interference. (This is another clue that your guitar may need a setup.)

When properly setup, the DF Vibrato Bridge Plate should float off the body, and be parallel to the surface of the body. I'm not sure what the current height spec for the Tribute model is, but you should be able to look it up. Or check with Craig.

And if you have adjusted the action using the Bridge Posts, you may simply need to do some light quavering of the Vibrato for a few days until it settles in.

These are all situations I've encountered, and these are the techniques that I use to keep my G&Ls running smoothly.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Good Luck.

Bill

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:19 pm

See this post in the Techincal Tips sub-forum of the Knowledgebase: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges. This will get you to a good starting point and then dial in your specific preferences. Also check the other posts on setups in that same sub-forum.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Thank you for the detailed advise and for the link, guys! To me that seems like a friction problem so I will definitely do all that you described. I need to buy a set of US allen wrenches and measurement tools first, though, as I'm in Russia and all tools here are in mm :( Now, could you please advise me, how many springs (two or three) I should keep if I use Ernie Ball 10s? Intuitively I think I need 2 springs, but what's the common practice here?

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Kopfschmerzen wrote:Thank you for the detailed advise and for the link, guys! To me that seems like a friction problem so I will definitely do all that you described. I need to buy a set of US allen wrenches and measurement tools first, though, as I'm in Russia and all tools here are in mm :( Now, could you please advise me, how many springs (two or three) I should keep if I use Ernie Ball 10s? Intuitively I think I need 2 springs, but what's the common practice here?

You will not need to purchase a US allen wrench set because the Tribute Series instruments use mertric allen head screws.
See this post in the G&L Technical Tips sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase forum: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

The G&L US models come with 3 springs on the instruments with DF Vibrato system bridges.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: