ASAT Classic - Flush Mount Output Jack

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Hey there,

I went ahead and purchased the Flush mount output jack replacement for my ASAT Classic from the G&L Online store. Everything came in as expected. It seems the output jack is threaded into the body on my guitar.

Replacement was pretty straight forward with soldering and all.

However, I noticed that jack only outputs if cables are plugged 3/4 of the way into the jack. I've double checked the connections (only 2, 1 ground and 1 signal).

Purchased from this link: http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... utput-jack

Is the jack defective?

Thanks,
Jon

Re: ASAT Classic - Flush Mount Output Jack

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Jon, I have had similar issues and have gone from Switchcraft to Neutrik jacks to isolate the problem. It appears that the jack isn't the issue but may be the cable ends on your cable. The cable ends may be metric and are a bit smaller, contributing to the issue. The best solution I have found is a football style jack and you can bend the tabs to fit. The Asat doesn't need a 3rd wire as there is no battery to worry about. It is difficult to get inside the standard jack to bend the prongs a bit. They are very fragile and you may destroy it doing so. -- Darwin

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:06 pm

@darwinohm thanks for the response. Do you happen to know the size of the guitar cable ends that are recommended?

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Jon, the ends used to be 1/4 inch but many of them are now metric which is a bit smaller. It may be 6 mm but I am not positive. -- Darwin

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:53 am

Thanks. I've been looking at right angle cables with g&h ends. Any brand recommendations?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 pm

I went ahead and took the output jack apart and low and behold, it was a stereo jack with one of the ends cut off delivered from G&L online. Be a bit careful with the parts you receive in the mail!

[image]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/913/uVPqEn.jpg[/image]

Mouser Electronics had the Switchcraft mono jacks in stock. I ordered a few of them and went ahead and installed. Everything works as intended again.