Need Help for Fixing a Dead Coil on an F-100 Pup

Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:50 am

Hello and thank you for checking out my post!

I'm hoping someone can help me resolve this problem.

On my F-100 bridge pup, the white-wire side reads 3.78, which is what half (coil-split) of the pup should read.
The green side however, gives me nothing. On a good pickup, I should get approximately the same, and then the total should read in the 7.xx range. On this pup, the total for both coils still reads 3.78.

So my question is, is there anyway I can repair this?

Or, do you know if I could send it to G&L for repair? I had a separate issue a few months ago (with a different guitar) and their Customer Service was fantastic, however, this is a repair issue, not a service issue, so I'm not sure if they provide support for things like this.

Of course, I know I could buy a new one, but this is a slotted-screw pole piece pup, and the new ones are all hex-nut. Plus, I hate 'wasting' what could be a great pup!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: Need Help for Fixing a Dead Coil on an F-100 Pup

Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:49 am

ant_riv wrote:On my F-100 bridge pup, the white-wire side reads 3.78, which is what half (coil-split) of the pup should read.
The green side however, gives me nothing. On a good pickup, I should get approximately the same, and then the total should read in the 7.xx range. On this pup, the total for both coils still reads 3.78.

So my question is, is there anyway I can repair this?
If this holds true you might be lucky. So you have the same sound output no matter if you short out the coil in question externally? That would be the test.
Your pickup seems to have a shorted coil. This is unlikely for the pickup winding proper (those fail by rupture, going open circuit), I'd rather suspect a short in the cable or where it is attached to the pup. Any serious tech should be able to track down what's going on and hopefully fix it.