Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top and Ascari Pickup Difference

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Was curious if anyone knows the difference in the pickups in these guitars. I picked up an Ascari last week, and love it by the way, but I am not overly excited with the pickups. I like the pickups in the ASAT Deluxe Carved Top. Both are humbuckers by the way. They are listed on the G&L site as:

Ascari
G&L AS4255C in neck position, G&L AW4368C in bridge position

ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
G&L AS4250C in neck position, G&L AW4370C in bridge position

Both can be split. The pickups split in the ASAT sound pretty good actually, but lifeless in the Ascari. They also sound very dark in the Ascari. I know scale length plays a part and body style, but I do prefer the sound of the pickups in the ASAT. I do prefer how the Ascari plays though. Curious if anyone has a little info on these. Maybe a replacement is in order.

Re: Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top and Ascari Pickup Differe

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:28 am

I guess not.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:25 am

look at the Knowledge base general questions under what Pick ups in what years , they have different amount of turns on the wire ...... I like the ascari pu's , just replace my SD's out of my ASAT Deluxe with Ascari pu's but I was wanting a LP type sound

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I just got a another set of the pickups out of the ASAT Deluxe from someone local off Craigslist. Might replace them with those. I also like the sound of a Les Paul and have one here , but I like the way the Ascari plays and it feels better to me. Just not a fan of the pickups and was wondering if anyone else had the same impression. Also have a set of JB/Jazz here that I forgot I had that I guess I could try. Swap you the pickups out of the Ascari for the SD's Mr. Fumble Fingers :)
Last edited by SamIV on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:15 pm

SamIV wrote:I just got a another set of the pickups out of the ASAT Deluxe from someone local off Craigslist. Might replace them with those. I also like the sound of a Les Paul and have one here , but I like the way the way the Ascari plays and feels better. Just not a fan of the pickups and was wondering if anyone else had the same impression. Also have a set of JB/Jazz here that I forgot I had that I guess I could try. Swap you these for the SD's MR Fumble Fingers :)

I have the SD '59/JB set in an epiphone 335. Nice pups! Don't know til you try...

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:43 pm

SamIV wrote:Was curious if anyone knows the difference in the pickups in these guitars. I picked up an Ascari last week, and love it by the way, but I am not overly excited with the pickups. I like the pickups in the ASAT Deluxe Carved Top. Both are humbuckers by the way. They are listed on the G&L site as:

Ascari
G&L AS4255C in neck position, G&L AW4368C in bridge position

ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
G&L AS4250C in neck position, G&L AW4370C in bridge position

Both can be split. The pickups split in the ASAT sound pretty good actually, but lifeless in the Ascari. They also sound very dark in the Ascari. I know scale length plays a part and body style, but I do prefer the sound of the pickups in the ASAT. I do prefer how the Ascari plays though. Curious if anyone has a little info on these. Maybe a replacement is in order.

As Fumble fingers mentioned, see this post in the Knowledgebase: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.
Depending upon the year of your Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top, the neck pickup was changed.
Also, check out this post, also in the Knowledgebase: Decoding the various G&L pickup part numbers.

SamIV wrote:I guess not.

BTW, many members, including myself, were away for the holiday.

:ugeek:

Re: Tribute ASAT DeluTxe Carved Top and Ascari Pickup Differ

Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:55 am

Thanks for the replies. Think I am going to swap them out for the extra set of ASAT pickups I just bought. The post for decoding the GL part numbers helped.

Re: Tribute ASAT DeluTxe Carved Top and Ascari Pickup Differ

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:18 am

SamIV wrote:Thanks for the replies. Think I am going to swap them out for the extra set of ASAT pickups I just bought. The post for decoding the GL part numbers helped.

What pickups did you get? From a Tribute ASAT Deluxe (G&L Humbuckers) or USA ASAT Deluxe (SD Humbuckers)?

I'd be interested in hearing some samples of your Ascari before and after the pickup swap. Care to share? (perhaps in The Project Page sub-forum).

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:54 am

The pickups came out of an Tribute ASAT Deluxe carved top. Only way I could provide sound samples is with my iphone and I have trouble posting pics, so that will be a stretch for me. I adjusted the stock pickups last night and they do sound better, I still prefer what I hear out of the ASAT. Might be a combination of the guitar and pickups that I prefer, but I still prefer the feel and playability of the Ascari. I am considering installing the SD JB/Jazz also that I have as well. Just looking for something with a bit more brightness and still have the guts of the larger mahogany bodied guitar. We will see. Will not be till the weekend till I can experiment though.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:09 am

Fiddled with the pickups a bit more and I think they are staying. I have another similar guitar which sounds totally different, so these are a nice change of pace.

For those of you who like a Les Paul sound, but don't like a Les Paul body style, you are missing out if you don't get out and try an Ascari.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 pm

SamIV wrote:Fiddled with the pickups a bit more and I think they are staying. I have another similar guitar which sounds totally different, so these are a nice change of pace.

For those of you who like a Les Paul sound, but don't like a Les Paul body style, you are missing out if you don't get out and try an Ascari.

Can you elaborate about what "fiddling" you did with the pickups to get them to your liking?

Thanks.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Followed the post below by some man named Seymour Duncan. GB&E string pole pieces needed adjusting and adjusted pickup height.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-t ... umbuckers/