Pickup height specifications for Legacy

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I’m trying to find out what the recommended pickup heights are for the standard alnico pickups found in a Legacy? My guitar tech set the heights differently, so I was wondering what the official factory preferred heights should be? (Distance from the strings either side using D'Addario strings 10-46)

Re: Pickup height specifications for Legacy

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:30 pm

offplanetfilms wrote:I’m trying to find out what the recommended pickup heights are for the standard alnico pickups found in a Legacy? My guitar tech set the heights differently, so I was wondering what the official factory preferred heights should be? (Distance from the strings either side using D'Addario strings 10-46)

The information you are looking for is in the User Manual. Please see the responses to the post, titled "How To Guide".

Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 pm

I had a look through the old manual, but I suspect the pickup heights given are for MFD's. It recommends 0.031" and 0.062", which seems awfully close for the Alnico magnets found in a Legacy. (Not to mention, sounding pretty awful at those specs) My guess is the heights would probably be more like vintage strat specs (2.5 to 3mm perhaps?)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:03 pm

offplanetfilms wrote:I had a look through the old manual, but I suspect the pickup heights given are for MFD's. It recommends 0.031" and 0.062", which seems awfully close for the Alnico magnets found in a Legacy. (Not to mention, sounding pretty awful at those specs) My guess is the heights would probably be more like vintage strat specs (2.5 to 3mm perhaps?)

I have a 2008 Legacy Semi-Hollow (which was shipped to me direct from the factory) and the pickup heights (measured from the outside pole piece to the string) are 4.5mm from the low E string and 3mm on the high E string. I don't know if this is the standard setting but it did come directly from the factory.

Hopefully, others will provide their settings and any tips they use for their setups.

I will see if I can find out the current factory setup specs for the Legacy and post a followup.

Hope this helps.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:36 am

Thanks Craig... It looks like the guitar tech who adjusted my pickup heights was closer to the mark than I was originally. (I'd read the old manual before and moved my pickups closer as a result.) It'd be great to hear what others would recommend as a "sweet spot" height for the Legacy.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 am

I'm looking for the height adjustment for Rail Pickups on my Legacy Special. Anyone have any thoughts or have a manual in this regards?