L2500 Tribute Electronics & Bridge

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Brand New to G&L.

Just purchased a previously owned L2500, made in October of 2003 and is in excellent condition. I have a question about improving the tone via electronic and bridge swap.

I spoke with Chris at G&L who informed me the pickups are the same as the USA model but the electronics are different he wasn't sure if the bridge was or not.

My question is:
1) Will the tone be improved noticeably if these two components are swapped with USA equipment from the G&L web site?

I'm in the process of having this instrument set with and will wait for some constructive suggestions first.

By the way, I also have a Lakland 5501 Skyline that came with Bartolini MK1 electronics and pickups. When I upgraded them to USA Bartolini components the tone difference was very noticeable.

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Anthony

Re: L2500 Tribute Electronics & Bridge

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 pm

To the best of my knowledge:
- Pickups and preamp/electronics are the same
- Pots are different, jack could be different, too
- Bridge baseplate is the same, saddles are pot-metal(Tribute) vs brass(US), both chrome plated.

The biggest thing to L2500's is the 'bridge attachment mod' that is recommended if you like to use string-through-bridge instead of string-through-body.

You might want to check out [url]bassesbyleo.com[/url] for more information and entertainment specific to the G&L range of basses.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 am

Thank you for the response. I spoke with G&L who informed me that the pickups are the same but the electronics are different. I do prefer string through body, for me it improves the B response. The bridge saddles sound like a good upgrade.

Thank you,

Anthony

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 am

alwbass wrote:Thank you for the response. I spoke with G&L who informed me that the pickups are the same but the electronics are different. I do prefer string through body, for me it improves the B response. The bridge saddles sound like a good upgrade.

Thank you,

Anthony

I checked the G&L On-Line Store and found this (note: currently out of stock):

Control Assembly - USA L-2000, L-2500, ASAT Bass

Complete pre-wired bass control assembly as used on USA L-2000, L-2500, and ASAT Bass models.
Includes all pots, mini-toggle switches, preamp circuit board with chip, and mounting nuts. Simply install and
solder the leads to the pickups and output jack. Will fit early control-plate L-2000 basses with additional
mounting hardware included.

Available in right-handed and left-handed version.

Will not fit Tribute Series models without enlarging the mounting holes for the pots and using knurled knobs for
solid-shaft pots available elsewhere in this store. Enlarging the holes for the pots may be done by a highly
experienced technician using a reamer tool, as there is risk of damaging the body finish. The Tribute Series
control assembly is available elsewhere in this store.

If you want to make the upgrade, I suggest you contact the G&L On-Line Store (webstore@bbesound.com) and
ask them if and when the US L-series control assembly will be available again.

Sorry, but I cannot comment on what kind of affect this will have on the tone, as I don't know.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: