My brand new Tribute M2500: one and only non-stringthru 5er?

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 am

Hi everybody

first post over here but I'm "wallace320" on talkbass.com with more than 2,000 posts over there

I'm presently ownin' two G&L:
- a 2005 mik Tribute L2500 (with capitol "G&L" letters and small "Tribute series" writings on the headstock and tribute engraved stringthru bridge);
- a 2013 mii Tribute M2500 (with the very first ever - to me - non-stringthru bridge on a 5er G&L)

My question is:
can I possibly be the owner of a strange M2500 with non-stringthru bridge?

I mean: startin' from the L2500 of nearly 10 years ago and temporarily stoppin' with afore mentioned M2500, I had nontheless than 10 more G&L Tributes in between...

4x L2000 (natural and rosewood; natural and rosewood "carved top"; 3ts flamed maple neck and rosewood; 3ts and maple fingerboard);
6x L2500 (natural and rosewood; natural and rosewood "carved top"; 2x 3ts and rosewood; 3ts and birds eye maple fingerboard; blueburst and rosewood)

Now, excludin' 4ers, which I assume to always be top string-mounted, all 7 5ers, past 6 and ol' mik L2500, have been with stringthru-body bridge system

How come that my present M2500 comes with a non-stringthru bridge?!
I've seen stringthru 5ers on G&L site (USA, custom creations, limited editions and Tributes) why my present M2500 differs?!

Nothin' I dislike: I definitely love my G&L, just out of curiosity I'd like to know
Thank you all for your kind attention

Cheers,
Wallace
Last edited by wallace on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My brand new Tribute M2500: one and only non-stringthru

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 am

I think Ken, over at Basses By Leo, wrote something about string-through-bridge (meaning all holes in the bridge are actually used for mounting it instead of "abusing" them as holes for the strings when running them through the body) has recently become the standard for Tribute 5ers to avoid any problems with the bridge being pulled out. May also result in simpler and cheaper manufacture as a side benefit.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply

Problem is I usually play a fullstep downtuned and this, even if I still long for "regular" 34" scale, made me appreciate solution like the stringthru system...
I don't "abuse" the strings lettin'em thru the bridge, I just give'em more room to extend (like it's on e.g. 35" scale basses) especially considerin' both low B string and the fact that I tune it to A (and that, last but not least, I hit really hard playin' fast fingerstyle thrashmetal uptempos)

My recent M2500 is carefully tweaked to allow my action but I'm thinkin' about exchangin' configuration with my L2500 (regularly tuned at the moment)

Thanx anyway

Cheers,
Wallace

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Wallace, I have owned several G&L L basses. They did have string through and I converted mine using stainless steel screws and ferrules to a bridge mounted bass. This mod is well documented by Ken Baker on the G&L bass forum. Now for my opinion. My M-2500 is a top load and the bridges have a much better mount to the body. Many believe ti couples to the body better and gives more sustain, including me. It is my preference and i would look at the mod if I were you. Maybe Ken will see this and provide you a link. Anyway, I believe it is a better system and am very happy with my Tribute M-2500. I have several basses and this one is my favorite for gigging and only have another along for backup.-- Darwin