Intonation problems

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:46 pm

I have a Tribute S500 and a Legacy that have similar problems with intonation. I bought both used and both were new condition; neither had been played very much and both have similar intonation issues

When I tried to adjust the intonation, on the S500 I had to remove the spring on the 3rd string and install a nut that had the 1st - 3rd slots compensated. It it still just a bit sharp but far better than it was

On the Legacy, I've only worked on the 3rd string and this one has me really puzzled. I have moved the saddle piece almost to its limit and there has been no change. The harmonic @ the 12th fret is dead on but the fretted note is sharp

I've looked thru the knowledge base and haven't found anything conclusive so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Currently, my next step is to make sure that the trem height is correct and that leads me to ask a couple of uniformed questions:
I suppose that the trem is measured with the guitar tuned to pitch?
Should the trem be laying parallel to the body? (ie not higher near the back of the trem as compared to the front?)

Many thanks in advance

Keith
aka Bluezhawk
aka GnLguy

Re: Intonation problems

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi Keith,

You do need to start with the trem parallel to the body, when it is tuned approximately to pitch. If you look in the Gallery section, a copy of the factory setup procedure is posted. At least the original setup specs from 1980 are there. I've never looked for newer ones, but the principles shouldn't have changed.

Ken

Re: Intonation problems

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:37 pm

KenC wrote:Hi Keith,

You do need to start with the trem parallel to the body, when it is tuned approximately to pitch. If you look in the Gallery section, a copy of the factory setup procedure is posted. At least the original setup specs from 1980 are there. I've never looked for newer ones, but the principles shouldn't have changed.

Ken

Hey Ken

Thanks for your response.

Yippe-kye-yii-aaaa. :happy0065: Got the Legacy adjusted and its ready for its test run. :banana:

The bridge was off quite a bit, I first tightened the trem springs to level the bridge. I found that the back cavity cover is approx 2/16" thick, making it the perfect and readily accessible gauge to adjust the bridge to the proper height. I then lowered the strings quite a bit, former owner had the saddles adjusted at uneven heights on each side. I started adjusting the intonation and kept getting closer. I loosened the truss rod about 1/8 turn and lowered the strings just a bit more.

After slowly adjusting everything, the guitar is now playing in tune now in the 1st seven frets, which is where it was so noticeable and the remainder of the neck, is so close that I doubt that it will be noticed. If I replace the nut at some point, I will notch the string slots and that should allow it to intonate fully

Good learning experience for me. I'll work on the S-500 tomorrow. Even though its a Tribute model, I like the S-500 well enough that I may send it at some point to be PLEK'd - Hmmm, pay almost as much for that service as I paid for the guitar.

Guess that's the price of love 8-)