neck shim question

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:13 pm

hey guy's I want to lower the action on two guitars with neck shims , my ASAT Deluxe with Bigsby and my Legacy both need to be lower .....

1 ... In the Legacy's case the trem is too close to the body with the action I want ,so I want to shim it to get the trem back into a normal height

2... the Bigsby is lowered as low as it can go and it's not enough so shim it is

.... the question is .... What are you guy's using for shim material ??...... whats generally acceptable material and what is not ?? ... does it even matter much ???

...I have one G&L that came factory with a shim that was made out of a business card , I have also read someone here say brass shim at one time or another

Re: neck shim question

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:11 pm

I've only needed to adjust one of my G&Ls, and that was with micro-tilt. I have a Fender bass that I shimmed with a guitar pick back in '98 or '99, which is still just how I set it. I have also seen thin strips of wood used.

As far as copper goes, it was probably a reference to copper foil. Aluminum foil should work just as well, but you would need a lot of folds or layers to get enough thickness for a guitar shim.

Ken

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:hey guy's I want to lower the action on two guitars with neck shims , my ASAT Deluxe with Bigsby and my Legacy both need to be lower .....

1 ... In the Legacy's case the trem is too close to the body with the action I want ,so I want to shim it to get the trem back into a normal height

2... the Bigsby is lowered as low as it can go and it's not enough so shim it is

.... the question is .... What are you guy's using for shim material ??...... whats generally acceptable material and what is not ?? ... does it even matter much ???

...I have one G&L that came factory with a shim that was made out of a business card , I have also read someone here say brass shim at one time or another

Since there have been posts about this subject, I bet you could find those posts with these helpful hints: ;)

Helpful Hint: At the bottom of each sub-forum you will find the
"Display topics from previous:" settings. Try using the Sort by Subject setting.

Also, check out the Search facility. You can focus your search within a group of forums
and/or sub-forums.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 am

Business cards work great. Do a Google search if you're unsure how or where to shim.

Will

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 pm

thanks Will !! ..... just happen to have a couple of those laying around