Comanche Setup

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:06 pm

I just recieved my first G&L comanche.

I am trying to setup the bridge, which was tightened down to the body.

I got a 3/16" spacer and leveled the bridge and tuned her up... the bridge holds the height quite well with no further adjustments.
After doing this the action is way too high!! and the saddles are already resting on the bridge.

Re: Comanche Setup

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:27 pm

It sounds like you took care of the first step. The next one is to set the neck relief, and possibly then to adjust the micro-tilt (on a pre-'98 G&L) or add a shim (on a guitar built since '89).

Ken

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Direttafis wrote:I just recieved my first G&L comanche.

I am trying to setup the bridge, which was tightened down to the body.

I got a 3/16" spacer and leveled the bridge and tuned her up... the bridge holds the height quite well with no further adjustments.
After doing this the action is way too high!! and the saddles are already resting on the bridge.

What year is your guitar? If it is 2009-current, then use this post for factory setup: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
Also check this post: viewtopic.php?p=79934#p79934 .

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 am

Thank you for the replies!

I did set the truss rod. a bit inexperienced with shimming the neck so this isn't something I want to mess with too much... I just dropped the bridge a bit lower then the 3/16" and the action is right where it should be. I'll post pictures after I set up a photo sharing site to upload them to.

Alas... I put her back up on E-bay. I was really excited to get my hands on a guitar with the mfd z coil pups after listening to a couple videos. And to be honest this is a gorgeous guitar, a real piece of eye candy. (if it doesn't sell I may just take off the pick guard and sell it as loaded and put my own electronics in her)

But to me the pups just sound WAY to harsh. I enjoy a warmer sound and while these will definitively cut through the mix they are a bit ear piercing. I've rolled back the tone, turned the presence on the amp all the way down and it got a bit better... but still kinda piercing and a large personal peeve of mine is making sure I'm not blowing out the audiences ear drums.

Info:
guitar is a 2011 USA Comanche Honey burst Swamp Ash Custom.
The rig I play through is the Line 6 DT50 with the HD500.
i know... but i used to be a huge line 6 hater too and sound quality until I played with this setup. After 20 years of playing and swapping around rigs, as of know this is the best setup I have ever played through. Unless of course you can afford 5 boutique amps and the 25 quality pedals :happy0007:

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:55 am

This is exactly what my guitar looks like

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:14 am

Don't give up yet, check out this post: Comanches For Dummies Redux by BoogieBill.

Hope this helps.

:geek:

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:16 am

Ok another issue I noticed...

And I checked the forums and yes I have the felt pieces underneath the poles on the bridge.

The tremolo doesn't return to exact position...

If I tune the guitar after pulling the trem bar back (tighten the strings) it stays in tune every time I use the trem bar to pull back. But when I push (loosen the strings) it doesn't return and I am left to finish the song with de-tuned strings...

It is the same if I push the trem and retune. every time I push it will return, but if I pull it will remain in a higher tuning.

I just went to make a video of this and as I was making the Video I noticed the bridge catching on the pickguard @ the bottom post. Common Problem?

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Direttafis wrote:Ok another issue I noticed...

And I checked the forums and yes I have the felt pieces underneath the poles on the bridge.

The tremolo doesn't return to exact position...

If I tune the guitar after pulling the trem bar back (tighten the strings) it stays in tune every time I use the trem bar to pull back. But when I push (loosen the strings) it doesn't return and I am left to finish the song with de-tuned strings...

It is the same if I push the trem and retune. every time I push it will return, but if I pull it will remain in a higher tuning.

I just went to make a video of this and as I was making the Video I noticed the bridge catching on the pickguard @ the bottom post. Common Problem?

No, this is not a common problem, but it's one you need to look for when lowering the bridge below factory spec and closer to the pickguard.

If you would just post some photos of YOUR guitar as it current is, we can help you better. I saw the photo you posted and thought you recently bought Lacking Talent's
Comanche he has up for sale in our Marketplace, but then read your comment that your's look's exactly like this one. This really is not helpful in a thread like this where
you are seeking assistance in getting your instrument dialed in. Photos of your guitar are a must.

If the pickguard is interfering, and the bridge height is where you want it, trimming the guard at the interference point is a solution you might consider.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your Comanche, so we might be able to help. :searching:

:ugeek:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 am

Oh that photo wasn't for the purpose of diagnosis... more of a "Hey, this is what I just got. Look at it!" ;)

Anyway I attempted shimming the neck. Took a couple attempts to learn a little means a lot. The Action is much better and I was able to raise the bridge and get the saddles off of the bridge. I have some buzz now, adjusted the truss rod. Its a bit better but still some buzz; soon I will reduce the shim a bit and see if that helps.

The next item I would like to tackle next is the tremolo set screw that is missing.

I checked the forum and found: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8917

Which led me to: http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... -screw-set

However when I select metric it is listed as sold out; I am going to give them a call tomorrow and find out if there is any other way to get them.

What I noticed in the forum was something about a nylon bushing that fits where the tremolo bar goes. Any info on where to get this? What it looks like? Can I fabricate it?

Right now the bar bounces around pretty good, which you can imagine only leads to inaccuracy.... I must say though, this guitar is starting to grow on me.

Again, thank you very much for all the Help!

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 am

Direttafis wrote:This is exactly what my guitar looks like

You weren't kidding, those guitars are dopplegangers :searching:

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Okay!

Well I have the guitar all fixed up and I have to say that these Z-coil pups have definitely grown on me. I had a chance to play the Comanche with my group last weekend and the way they cut through the mix was amazing, crystal clear.

If anyone is paying attention to this... Does anyone have any experience with the Will Ray pup?
http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/p ... dge-pickup

We have two or three songs that are a bit heavier which a humbucker will definitely do better with. Typically on my strat I kick it down to the bridge pup (I have an HSS).

How would you describe the sound from this Will Ray pup?
Does it resemble anything close to the type of output you can get from a humbucker?

I am either going to buy this Will Ray pup OR I am planning on getting a custom made pickguard so I can put a humbucker into the bridge position.
Basically when it comes to strats I only get the HSS models (I think you get MUCH more versatility out of the guitar) and I would like to get the some versatility out of my Comanche.

Suggestions and thoughts much appreciated!

Have a great day!