Tremolo stability

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:20 am

A couple months ago I bought a G&L Comanche. The guitar had a cosmetic blemish on the back of the neck, so I asked G&L and the store about it. G&L agreed it looked a little ugly, and they were nice enough to make a new neck & ship it to the store, and the store was nice enough to install the new neck for me. When I originally picked up the guitar (before the new neck), the trem seemed to be set up from the factory to be floating, so I could bend it both ways. When the store installed the new neck, they did a setup on the guitar, and it seems they set up the trem to be tilted all the way back, so now I can only bend it forward (to lower the pitch of the notes). I don't use the trem very often, so it isn't a huge deal to me, but it does bug me a little that the store adjusted the trem that way without asking me if I'd prefer it that way. I imagine they probably did that for tuning stability?

Re: Tremolo stability

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:25 am

take off the back cover and loosen both phillips headed screws holding the spring tension until it level again , it's a easy adjustment ...... I have mine adjusted as a compromise between standard tuning and half step down , meaning it's a little high when tuned standard and a little low when tuned a half step down ... but it should be level , easy adjustment you can do your self , you have to do the same thing when ever you change the gage size of the strings will alter the trem angle

Re: Tremolo stability

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 am

CalicoSkies wrote:A couple months ago I bought a G&L Comanche. The guitar had a cosmetic blemish on the back of the neck, so I asked G&L and the store about it. G&L agreed it looked a little ugly, and they were nice enough to make a new neck & ship it to the store, and the store was nice enough to install the new neck for me. When I originally picked up the guitar (before the new neck), the trem seemed to be set up from the factory to be floating, so I could bend it both ways. When the store installed the new neck, they did a setup on the guitar, and it seems they set up the trem to be tilted all the way back, so now I can only bend it forward (to lower the pitch of the notes). I don't use the trem very often, so it isn't a huge deal to me, but it does bug me a little that the store adjusted the trem that way without asking me if I'd prefer it that way. I imagine they probably did that for tuning stability?

It is quite odd that the dealer would not set up the guitar to G&L factory specs (parallel bridge plate and floating).
See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase for the current factory setup: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

It's not difficult to do, but you might want to take it back to the dealer and ask them to set it up properly to factory specs.

Also, if you want to block the tremolo, see this post: How do I block the tremelo on my guitar?
Hope this helps.

:ugeek: