Lower volume after shielding ?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Hey guys,

Has anyone else experienced this? After using shielding paint in all of the cavities, my guitar volume is lower. I measured pick up height before removing them with a caliper, and returned them to stock height. The volume of the guitar is now lower, and the tone pot seems to have less effect than before.
I have used copper foil to shield before , did not experience this. It IS the first time I have used the paint.
Any suggestions ???? :shocked028:

Re: Lower volume after shielding ?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 am

Do you think because there's less hum and noise now that you subconsciously may believe there's less volume too? It happens.

Will

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:39 am

I thought that as well, so, plugged in the Blues Boy , left the volume and wattage alone on the amp(full volume and 5 watts) guitar volume full up and proceeded to blow my ear drums out . Now the B.B. Is shielded with copper foil, not paint. This is an odd one to me......
Thank you Ray for taking the time to respond. If you clan think of anything else, please, let me know.....

Scott

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Then you must have jiggled a wire wrong when you took everything out. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me either.

Will

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:16 pm

I'll remove the tone controls and pick ups and check everything out. The neck pick up cover was a pain to get back on. Maybe a sounder joint got pinched or pulled loose. I'll post up my findings. It is a mystery so far....... Thanks again.....

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Problem found: a solder point on the switch was making contact with the body inside the tone control cavity. Saw a scratch in the shielding paint, bent the tab so it would not make contact. Had this problem on the blues Boy as well........ But on copper foil, the whole thing shorts and NO sound is made then. Glad I didn't have to remove the pick ups..........

Thank you again for the reply's!!! (Made me think) :~)