Need help with pickups and pickguard (Tele)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:07 am

I'm a new guy on the block, but I've been playing for a long time, G&L off and on since 89. My problem is my ASAT pickup config. The middle pup is always in my way, I've lowered it and that helps.
What I'd like to do is purchase a complete Tele 50's pickup set and replace my original. Since its in the rare bird category I'm not sure what to do.
Can you order this from G&L. I've searched Ebay and found nothing, except inferior offer's.

Jim

Re: Need help with pickups and pickguard (Tele)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:27 am

I'd look for a nice ASAT (classic or 'special')to compliment your ASAT lll, and then you'll have the best of both worlds .
You don't have the bathtub route in your lll that make swapping pup configurations easy. So it would require some heavy mods ( sawdust ) as I see it :(
I would take the opportunity to lighten my picking style until I took delivery of a 2 pup guitar.
Something like this one (auction has ended) ebay

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:08 am

that was a great deal on that ebay link Elwood , it was on my watch list .... maybe a Classic for the "other MFD sound" then you would have two great but different sounding G&L's ...... I have read on here that pickers felt the big middle pup got in the way

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:29 am

Fumble fingers wrote: I have read on here that pickers felt the big middle pup got in the way

good point...and happy pickers make for good music :)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Good advice gang. I'm just not knowledgeable enough on these G&L Guitars. Probably sounds a little phoney, but true. As I've stated on a past post. I've never taken the neck off or really done anything except change strings. The guitar plays itself. I've had several Asat's on my watch list, blondes with maple neck. They have just been too high for the budget I set.

So I'll just keep watching ebay, maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks again for the input
Chow
Jim

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:49 am

I think I got lucky, will keep you posted................................ :clap:

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Well Tim I believe I will have an ASAT Classic soon. It should be on its way maybe by the end of next week if I'm lucky. Stay tuned.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:42 pm

I realize the ship has sailed and I think the best option has been taken by keeping this oldie in original condition and acquiring a different guitar.

However an alternative to a heavy sawdust mod converting a guitar like this would have been to remove the middle pickup, change the wiring and use a custom pickguard made using the original as a guide.

Curious, has anyone found a three-pickup ASAT/Tele to be any worse for middle pickup picking interference than a Legacy/Strat-style conguration? I have only noticed it mentioned with the three-pickup configuration using the large MFD's. The topic has not really been on my radar so I don't recall much else on the topic.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:59 am

Salmon wrote:Curious, has anyone found a three-pickup ASAT/Tele to be any worse for middle pickup picking interference than a Legacy/Strat-style conguration? I have only noticed it mentioned with the three-pickup configuration using the large MFD's. The topic has not really been on my radar so I don't recall much else on the topic.

I usually keep my middle PU lowered on my Z-3 models, sometimes flush with the pickguard. Otherwise it interferes with my right hand picking. I actually use the middle PU in that situation when I want a real clean, lowered-volume rhythm sound.

I have the same problem with Strats, Legacy's and S-500's, but to a lesser degree. The shape of the Z coils seems to take up a lot of real estate on the guitar. But ya gotta love the Z-coil sound!

Will

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:09 am

Because I was raise on two basic types of music, both finger picking and good ole rock n roll my style varies and I tend to mix the two when I'm playing.
So yes Starts bother me to. I lower the middle on all my guitars.
The Asat Classic will be a welcomed friend along side my fender tele, thanks to our board member Eric. Now you know the rest of the story............................

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 am

GentlemanJim wrote:
The Asat Classic will be a welcomed friend along side my fender tele, thanks to our board member Eric. Now you know the rest of the story............................

I was just telling my wife this morning I hope my new Classic plays as good as the old one , it's hard for me to sell something I love , seems like I always regret selling stuff later down the road but I'm close to KenC's method "one in and one out" theme and I can't have two Classic's ... but the good side for me is that I'll have two Buck Owens , a Classic and Deluxe :thumbup:

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:11 am

the incoming

the current

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:04 pm

I've only seen those RW&B guitars in the hands of special folks. You've got good taste, and must really know your way around a 6-string. I wouldn't have the guts, nor the chops, to play those puppies in public. They're not exactly low-key, now are they? Early 4th of July for you though. Congrat's.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:36 pm

MrRoundel wrote:I've only seen those RW&B guitars in the hands of special folks. You've got good taste, and must really know your way around a 6-string. I wouldn't have the guts, nor the chops, to play those puppies in public. They're not exactly low-key, now are they? Early 4th of July for you though. Congrat's.

lol ..... I'll settle for "got good taste" ..... these two probably won't leave the house , with my playing I would have to play ole RWB behind the Bass players amp :thumbup: ..... my Cavalier , Rampage and SC 2 are the only G&L's I really feel comfortable leaving the house with

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:55 am

Eric if its any consolation its one in and three out, I need the room.

Sweet looking combo, those Buck guitar, they look like tone monsters.
Jim

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am

Its here, yeah............... (ASAT Classic) I'm the midst of working on a Festival and haven't had the time to really get to know her, but she's a looker just like Eric said.
Thanks Eric you d'man...............

Jim