MFD pups

Mon May 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Own an Asat Special with CLF 23575 serial number, purchased used and liking this guitar more and more everytime I pick it up. Playing mostly blues genre {old school and new}. Being a former Strat owner/player I have been comparing the two thanks to a friend who let me use his strat for a week or so. Has anybody experienced the MFD's as being bottom heavy compared to the single alnico's on the strat. To me the low end on the strat is much tighter and distinct sounding. Maybe a rookie question, but would love to get that out of my Asat as I picked it over two Fender strats when shopping a few years back. Beautiful playing guitar and really don't want to purchase another guitar at this time. I think this Special is a very versatile and great all round guitar for blues with lots of potential. Just need a little help in coaxing it out of it! Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Loyal G&L player and love the quality of their instruments!! Thanks guys!

Re: MFD pups

Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Have you tried lowering the bass side of your MFD's to tighten up the bass response with respect to your other strings?

If that doesn't quite do it, the individual pole heights can be further adjusted to provide the right string to string balance.

FWIW, my ASAT Special has a very tight, focused bass response on the bridge pickup. The neck pup is rounder, but still not weak or flabby. Some experimentation should get you close to where you want to be. Versatile is a word that is often used to describe those big MFD's.

Re: MFD pups

Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 am

I wonder about what you are actually experiencing.

Tight to me suggests precision.

A Strat with Alnicos definitely has less bottom end than the large MFD's on an ASAT Special. People reduce bass to help avoid muddiness when they are going to be playing lower notes/chords which favors the Strat. The Strat also has a sort of smaller sound whereas the ASAT Special has a relatively boosted top and bottom with a scooped mid. To some extent this is apples and oranges being Alnico and MFD.

The amp setting might favor one over the other.

It may also be the large MFD's rather than MFD's overall.

My S-500 is very precise/tight. The S-500 has the PTB system so I have experienced it with and without the bass cut, it is consistently precise/tight.