M2000 stray wires. Is this normal?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm

I have had 'intermittent' issues with the jack on my M2000 bass since I bought it 13 months ago. I figured I just had faulty cables but after getting the same kind of result with brand new high end cables last weekend I am convinced that the jack is faulty. Today I was removing the old jack. As I was removing it I found one black wire connected to the jack that goes nowhere. The same lug has a 2nd black wire that goes to the battery. Coming from the battery is a red wire that is spliced to 2 red wires with one going to the PCB and the other wire just hanging off in space. Both wires are clipped straight off but not taped, and they are both hot (16V between them). Seems a little weird to me.

Is this the correct factory setup?

I am buying a Switchcraft replacement jack from GuitarElectronics.com. Anybody have any experience with these?

Re: M2000 stray wires. Is this normal?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 pm

gLight wrote:I have had 'intermittent' issues with the jack on my M2000 bass since I bought it 13 months ago. I figured I just had faulty cables but after getting the same kind of result with brand new high end cables last weekend I am convinced that the jack is faulty. Today I was removing the old jack. As I was removing it I found one black wire connected to the jack that goes nowhere. The same lug has a 2nd black wire that goes to the battery. Coming from the battery is a red wire that is spliced to 2 red wires with one going to the PCB and the other wire just hanging off in space. Both wires are clipped straight off but not taped, and they are both hot (16V between them). Seems a little weird to me.

Is this the correct factory setup?

I am buying a Switchcraft replacement jack from GuitarElectronics.com. Anybody have any experience with these?

No, that does not sound normal. Here's the M-2000 Wiring Schematic from G&L's website: http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/M-2000_schematic_drawing.pdf.

If you bought it new from a G&L dealer, contact that dealer and have them help you get it repaired under warranty. See G&L's Support page for details.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: M2000 stray wires. Is this normal?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Bass San Diego is where I got the bass from. I bought it new. It will cost me about $50 round trip to send it back and there is always that risk with shipping. I am capable of changing out the jack and they are sending me a jack now.

Unless you have any better ideas or cautions, I'll just remove the stray wires.

Thanks for the help.