Re: G&L FALLOUT – How ‘bout Some Shameless Love

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:37 am

would a fallout usa pickguard fit on the tribute series fallout?...I am hoping a black one will fit on a tribute fallout?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 pm

jageya wrote:would a fallout usa pickguard fit on the tribute series fallout?...I am hoping a black one will fit on a tribute fallout?

Yes, I believe they are interchangable. I looked at pictures of both Fallouts and they look to be the same and I checked Chandler's Pickguard Heaven webpage for G&L
and they don't have a separate entry for the Tribute Fallout.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 am

Craig wrote:
jageya wrote:would a fallout usa pickguard fit on the tribute series fallout?...I am hoping a black one will fit on a tribute fallout?

Yes, I believe they are interchangable. I looked at pictures of both Fallouts and they look to be the same and I checked Chandler's Pickguard Heaven webpage for G&L

The Pickguard Heaven page says:

"Numbers listed below for "Tribute" models are listed for cost reference only - the pattern number used for your actual guard may differ from that shown on this list. All "Tribute" asian import models require the original guard be sent for duplication."

Which seems odd. And unfortunate. I really want a Tribute Fallout (my first G&L). But I want a different pickguard. Do they really have to custom-make each Tribute pickguard? :x

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 am

RedHotFuzz wrote:
Craig wrote:

"Numbers listed below for "Tribute" models are listed for cost reference only - the pattern number used for your actual guard may differ from that shown on this list. All "Tribute" asian import models require the original guard be sent for duplication."

Which seems odd. And unfortunate. I really want a Tribute Fallout (my first G&L). But I want a different pickguard. Do they really have to custom-make each Tribute pickguard? :x

After reviewing both the Tribute and USA Fallouts in photos, I no longer believe that they are interchangable because the top screw holes are in different locations.
See this photo (Tribute Fallout on top and USA Fallout below):

So, to order a pickguard for the Tribute Fallout from Pickguard Heaven you would need to follow their instructions for Tribute pickguards.
If you don't mind additional screw holes in the body of the Tribute, you should be able to use an USA Fallout pickguard.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 am

I called G&L directly and to my frustration they can't acquire a single cream pickguard from the large stacks of them they surely have in the overseas factory. All I want is a cream pickguard on a sonic blue Fallout. The red and black models ship with a cream pickguard, the sonic blue comes with white. It's a bummer I can't get my hands on one of those original standard parts.

I've emailed Pickguard Heaven to see if perchance they already have a template on file for the Tribute Fallout. Hopefully they do and I can just order a cream one. It would be difficult to send in the original pickguard since I don't even have the guitar yet (and will hate to mail in the pickguard once I get it and be without the use of my brand new guitar for who knows how long).

Ah, the joys of overseas manufacturing. :( If I love my Tribute Fallout, one day I'll order a fully customized USA model.

I'll post an update when I hear from Pickguard Heaven.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 am

Then again, my American Standard Strat (chrome red) originally had a white pickguard. I stored it in its case for 11 months while building a new house and when I finally took it out the pickguard had magically turned cream colored (the control knobs and pickups remained white). :o

Which looks freaking awesome. :D

If I knew the magic formula, I could do the same with a sonic blue Fallout with a white pickguard. Presto chango...cream!

Don't know that I'd want to wait 11 months for the transformation though...

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am

Bummer, I just heard back from Pickguard Heaven. They do not yet have a Tribute Fallout template. I would have to send them the original pickguard from my yet-to-be-purchased guitar. :cry:

Unless one of you current Tribute owners wants to beat me to the punch? :happy0065:

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm

thats kinda odd....i wonder why they just didnt make the screwholes line up exact for both?

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:19 pm

it's not really a problem , you will have just one extra hole know one will ever see unless you take the pick guard off ... or order a pick guard un drilled , clamp the original pg to the un-drilled pg for a template and drill

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:45 pm

635 G & L Fallout LTD Model $33.00 $36.00 $40.00 $60.00 $67.00
637 G & L Fallout MFD Model $33.00 $36.00 $40.00 $60.00 $67.00
639 G & L Fallout 90 Model

they list 3 fallouts on chandler sight... which is the tribute fallout( i know the screw hole thing doesnt matter to me... but i would like a diff color..

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Being a cheapskate, I'd try naturally ageing the white one first. Leave it on a sunny window sill in your house for a week or, even better, see if you can leave it under UV lamps at the local tanning salon. :lol:

All the white guards on my US guitars (Fenders and G&L's) have turned a buttery cream colour after a few years, but the white guards on my Asian made guitars, including a Tribute ASAT Special, stubbornly refuse to go any shade other than stark white. :eh:

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:13 pm

jageya wrote:635 G & L Fallout LTD Model $33.00 $36.00 $40.00 $60.00 $67.00

they list 3 fallouts on chandler sight... which is the tribute fallout( i know the screw hole thing doesnt matter to me... but i would like a diff color..

I would expect none to be Tributes. They specify that when ordering for a Tribute you must supply the original pickguard for them to fill your order. Sounds like they are trying to avoid problems due to variations and subsequently unhappy customers. Where a Tribute pickguard is listed, it is there as a price reference only. Between all of the materials options the pricing is consistent so you can see what it will cost you. They do not provide a number for a Tribute model to eliminate the opportunity for you to mistakenly order a Tribute pickguard using a number alone.

Numbers listed below for "Tribute" models are listed for cost reference only - the pattern number used for your actual guard may differ from that shown on this list.
All "Tribute" asian import models require the original guard be sent for duplication.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 am

Since there is an obvious relationship between Chandler Guitars/Pickguard Heaven and G&L, it just seems bizarre that you have to send in an actual pickguard for them to make a template from. G&L can't send them the CAD file for the original? What is this, 1960? :o

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 am

ok....so if i want to get the standard fallout guitar pickguard( for usa model)..which one of the 3 listed above would it be??

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 am

Salmon wrote:
jageya wrote:635 G & L Fallout LTD Model $33.00 $36.00 $40.00 $60.00 $67.00

they list 3 Fallout on chandler sight... which is the tribute fallout( i know the screw hole thing doesn't matter to me... but i would like a diff color..

I would expect none to be Tributes. They specify that when ordering for a Tribute you must supply the original pickguard for them to fill your order. Sounds like they are trying to avoid problems due to variations and subsequently unhappy customers. Where a Tribute pickguard is listed, it is there as a price reference only. Between all of the materials options the pricing is consistent so you can see what it will cost you. They do not provide a number for a Tribute model to eliminate the opportunity for you to mistakenly order a Tribute pickguard using a number alone.

The Fallout 90 Model is likely the standard Fallout. The Fallout MFD and the Fallout LTD are likely variations, like the LE-2 being one and perhaps an MFD in the neck and standard ALNICO humbucker in the bridge...

It is my understanding that they require the Tribute one to be sent in because they do not supply the Asian assembly plants and those Asian plants likely change suppliers on a regular basis to keep costs competitive...so Chandler doesn't have the means to track variations on the versions between overseas suppliers- it would likely cost more than they generate in sales of aftermarket Tribute pg's.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 am

JagInTheBag wrote:It is my understanding that they require the Tribute one to be sent in because they do not supply the Asian assembly plants and those Asian plants likely change suppliers on a regular basis to keep costs competitive...so Chandler doesn't have the means to track variations on the versions between overseas suppliers- it would likely cost more than they generate in sales of aftermarket Tribute pg's.

I'll admit I don't know much about overseas manufacturing, but don't they generally manufacture exactly what the client company asks them to? When Foxconn builds the iPhone for Apple, they don't just slap any part in there they want. They build it *exactly* to Apple's design & specifications. Sure, a pickguard isn't a smartphone, but I don't understand why G&L wouldn't have the "template" for the pickguard they pay their Asian manufacturer to supply them with. It's not some universal guitar part out of a bin. It's a pickguard designed and made specifically for the Fallout. And it's not hand-carved by Elvish craftsmen. It's a machine-made part that should conform exactly to the original design. Plus the fact that G&L can't get their hands on one of these pickguards that sit in large piles in the Asian factory? It's a one-dollar piece of plastic, but to get one in a different color I have to send them an existing one from a guitar I purchase, pay 40 bucks, and wait who-knows-how-long to get it? It all just seems strange.

"Hey Honda, I need a new turn signal lens for my recent-model Accord."

"No problem, but we need you to send us one from your car so we can make a template and manufacture it for you. And that will be $250."

:roll:
Last edited by RedHotFuzz on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:42 am

what is odd to me is if you go to this link for usa made fallouts for sale and look at the pickguards for them they have exact screwhole line up as the tribute fallouts... where as the pics on g&l site have that one off screw hole on the pickguard differences.... strange!

http://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fallout

so my guess is the one on chandlers sight will work fine.....I have to agree this is lame by g&l...and would lead one to think that the whole tribute vs usa is somewhat of a silly thing.....Maybe someone who owns both the tribute and the usa model can do a detailed comparison and comment?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:11 pm

jageya wrote:I have to agree this is lame by g&l...and would lead one to think that the whole tribute vs usa is somewhat of a silly thing

Also, you would think a smaller company like G&L would relish the opportunity to sell a very high-margin item like replacement pickguards for their guitars rather than refer customers to a third party.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm

in general as i have other guitars that i want to have pick-guards made for....can anyone recommend a "REASONABLE" priced place/ site to have these made without being ripped off? thanx

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 pm

jageya wrote:in general as i have other guitars that i want to have pick-guards made for....can anyone recommend a "REASONABLE" priced place/ site to have these made without being ripped off? thanx

Warmoth seems to be cheaper than Pickguard Heaven:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/GuitarPickguards.aspx

But still not "cheap" for a piece of thin plastic. I assume eBay resources are plentiful, with the typical eBay caveats.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:40 pm

Chandler makes some nice pick guards , I would order one for the American P-90 and not look back

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 pm

thanx... i found 4 places

chandler
pickguardian
terrapinguitars.com
pickguards.com
any experience with these?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:49 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:It is my understanding that they require the Tribute one to be sent in because they do not supply the Asian assembly plants and those Asian plants likely change suppliers on a regular basis to keep costs competitive...so Chandler doesn't have the means to track variations on the versions between overseas suppliers- it would likely cost more than they generate in sales of aftermarket Tribute pg's.

I should have gone further and explained the reasons for "variations" across the Tribute line though I would not have been able to do so as well as you have here.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm

jageya wrote:thanx... i found 4 places

chandler
pickguardian
terrapinguitars.com
pickguards.com
any experience with these?

Chandler is Pickguard Heaven although Chandler is also Chandler Guitars offering a few guitar related products aside from pickguards.

I have ordered pickguards from them three times. I would not hesitate using them again.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 am

Craig wrote:
RedHotFuzz wrote:
Craig wrote:

After reviewing both the Tribute and USA Fallouts in photos, I no longer believe that they are interchangable because the top screw holes are in different locations.
See this photo (Tribute Fallout on top and USA Fallout below):

So, to order a pickguard for the Tribute Fallout from Pickguard Heaven you would need to follow their instructions for Tribute pickguards.
If you don't mind additional screw holes in the body of the Tribute, you should be able to use an USA Fallout pickguard.

Hope this helps.

I contacted Dave about this and he replied back:

Hi Craig,

Yes, they're made by Cort. I'm not aware of a reason why they put the pickguard holes in different locations. Chandler can make one, as the guys know, but it's old school. RedHotFuzz commented about a CAD file, but when it comes to pickguards, it is 1960. There's no CAD file, only old-school templates.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 am

http://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fallout

still...look at these real world examples of real NON TRIBUTE fallouts with the screwholes exactly like the tribute series screwholes...to me both tribute and non tribute guards would seem to be the same at least screwhole wise.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 pm

jageya wrote:http://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fallout

still...look at these real world examples of real NON TRIBUTE fallouts with the screwholes exactly like the tribute series screwholes...to me both tribute and non tribute guards would seem to be the same at least screwhole wise.

I'm checking on this .... Stay tuned.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:32 pm

ok thank you

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Craig wrote:
jageya wrote:http://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fallout

I'm checking on this .... Stay tuned.

I checked with Dave. Here's his reply:

Hi Craig,

Hmmm... seems odd. My guess is that they're pretty close and the guys think they're the same. I wouldn't claim they're interchangeable. Danger, Will Rogers!

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

So, I won't go as far to say they are interchangable, but here's a recent (March 16) photo of a USA Fallout which was posted on G&L's Facebook page:

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the USA Fallout pickguard will work for the Tribute Fallout. :think: :silent:

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:38 pm

You just had to pull out a Gumby! :luv:

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 am

so...which pickguard listed on chandlers site matches a stock fallout??? they list 3..

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 am

jageya wrote:so...which pickguard listed on chandlers site matches a stock fallout??? they list 3..

For the USA Fallout use pattern #639.

Re: Will a USA Fallout pickguard fit on a Tribute Fallout?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Hello All,

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm curious if any Fallout Tribute owners decided to order an after-market pickguard for their Fallout?

I just picked up a new G&L Fallout (Tribute Series) in gloss black yesterday - my first G&L to be exact. I love everything about the guitar though I think it's screaming for a tort pickguard.

Otherwise, what can I say, I'm already thinking about adding a Legacy to my collection!

Ryan

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 am

RYAN1987M wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm curious if any Fallout Tribute owners decided to order an after-market pickguard for their Fallout?

Reviving the thread again as there has never really been a definitive answer to this... So in the interests of Fallout Tribute players across the world, I have ordered a USA pattern pickguard from Chandlers. As soon as it is here, I will report back (but be patient as apparently it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before it ships and then it'll take a while to get here).

Watch this space!

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 pm

RickenBangler wrote:
RYAN1987M wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm curious if any Fallout Tribute owners decided to order an after-market pickguard for their Fallout?

Reviving the thread again as there has never really been a definitive answer to this... So in the interests of Fallout Tribute players across the world, I have ordered a USA pattern pickguard from Chandlers. As soon as it is here, I will report back (but be patient as apparently it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before it ships and then it'll take a while to get here).

Watch this space!

Funny that you should post this...

I literally just got back from the Post Office - I took the pickguard off of my Fallout (Tribute Series - Made in Indonesia in 2014) and shipped it to Chandler Music's Pickguard Heaven.

My Fallout is Gloss Black and I'm still debating between the following two materials -

Option 1 - Group E - Material # 41 - Tortoise Shell (Brown) 4-ply
Option 2 - Group E - Material # 109 - Red "Reissue" Tortoise Shell 3-ply

Anyhow, the original pickguard from my Fallout should arrive in California earlier next week (approx. Tuesday March 24).

Ryan

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:47 pm

RYAN1987M wrote:I literally just got back from the Post Office - I took the pickguard off of my Fallout (Tribute Series - Made in Indonesia in 2014) and shipped it to Chandler Music's Pickguard Heaven.

My Fallout is Gloss Black and I'm still debating between the following two materials -

Option 1 - Group E - Material # 41 - Tortoise Shell (Brown) 4-ply
Option 2 - Group E - Material # 109 - Red "Reissue" Tortoise Shell 3-ply

Anyhow, the original pickguard from my Fallout should arrive in California earlier next week (approx. Tuesday March 24).

Ryan

Hah - The brilliant white PG (only) on the Sonic Blue looks (to me) too stark - especially given the vintage tinted maple board.
I think the cream guard as standard on the Black and Fullerton Red versions would look so much better with SB - but there ya go... I would've had yours off you :evilgrin:

I ordered the cream/black/cream. Let's face it, the pix on the Chandler site arent the best are they? So with your choices it's hard to tell - kinda like the red reissue though...

Rb

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am

Yesterday I received the new pickguard (from Pickguard Heaven) - 4-ply brown tort.

Our temperatures have changed dramatically here in southwestern Ontario, so last night I dropped the guitar off for a set-up with my favourite luthier and they'll slap on the new tort pickguard for me as well (new pics will follow!).

Thanks!

Ryan

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 am

And the answer is... pretty well.

I recently received my Chandler USA spec pickguard and it works for me.

It is slightly thicker than the stock 'Tribute' pickguard (a good thing as the original had the odd gap between guard and body here and there) and the cut out for the P90 is much better executed than the original as well. I think the holes for the pots might be a little larger but don't quote me on that and I'm not pulling them out again to check - but they fit well and all is good. It is not 'perfect' though - there is a slight gap between the guard and the end of the neck - doesn't bother me in the slightest but might annoy some - also, only two of the screw holes lined up perfectly. This meant I had to employ the old 'cocktail stick with a dab of wood glue' trick to fill the old holes and then drill new pilot holes. They weren't off by much - just enough to be a pain. Anyways, I'm well pleased with the result! Obviously, it would be favourite to send your original guard so a perfect copy can be made - but in my case that was not really practical, so hopefully you now have enough info to make a decision. The Chandler guard is very creamy but I think it works a whole lot better than the stark white - YMMV.

While I had the Fallout 'on the bench' I also replaced the tuners with a G&L vintage set (which I like). Apart from the guard, Schaller strap locks, a Switchraft jack and a G&L stamped neck plate, she is stock. The Volume pot feels a little 'firm' where the Tone pot is very free - with little resistance - I find that a small annoyance but I'm not going to bother to do anything about it any time soon (if at all) as all the electrics are working just fine.

So now I have made her 'mine' and enjoy every moment she is in my hands. I appreciate that obviously none of this exists without the pix so here are a few for your delectation (tried really hard to get the colour accurate this time - it's pretty close).

Cheers,
Rb

USA Pickguard on Fallout Tribute

G&L Vintage Style Tuners

Last edited by RickenBangler on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:36 am

Where did you get that nameplate from?

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:04 pm

catawompus wrote:Where did you get that nameplate from?

A well known auction site... :thumbup:

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Well, the new tort pickguard (from Pickguard Heaven) has been installed!

Before –

After –