View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 7 sound Legacy? :) 

Post 7 sound Legacy? :)
Hi, anyone who has modified their Legacy to have a 7-switch system?

I know the S-500 has it..

What I'd like, is to add a push-pull pot to be able to do this.

Anyone that has experience with, and has done it? :)

/Edson

* G&L Legacy 2007
* Two Rock Exo 15
* Fender EC Vibrochamp signature amp

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Post Re: 7 sound Legacy? :)
This topic has come up several times. Although it is not mentioned in the thread I linked to below one member who has tried a lot of things live suggests using a push-push instead of a push-pull as it is more practical when playing. I imagine it is easier to hit the knob than to pull and either way you may not know where you are starting from and another tap is a repeated motion as opposed to switching to a grip/pull if you discover you were already in the other position. Makes sense.

Here is a link to read though.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Salmon wrote:
This topic has come up several times. Although it is not mentioned in the thread I linked to below one member who has tried a lot of things live suggests using a push-push instead of a push-pull as it is more practical when playing. I imagine it is easier to hit the knob than to pull and either way you may not know where you are starting from and another tap is a repeated motion as opposed to switching to a grip/pull if you discover you were already in the other position. Makes sense.

Thanks! I did a search, but didn't find anything.. not good enough of a search I guess...

Any idea of where to get a good quality pot for this project? :)

/Edson

* G&L Legacy 2007
* Two Rock Exo 15
* Fender EC Vibrochamp signature amp

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:27 pm

AllParts.

Another factor in the recommendation for a push-push instead of push-pull is the use of traditional Strat knobs which would make the pull more difficult. If you go with the ASAT/S-500 knobs it is less of a problem however the repeat action of the easier push is a good selling point.

Consider installing the switch knob on the tone or bass knob positions instead of the volume, which may interfere with volume swell techniques and is simply used more often than the others in most cases.

BTW, when I said the topic has come up several times I was just trying to explain why the information about the advantages of a push-push was not included in the link I posted. I know how difficult it can be to pull up information with the search engine and even information I remember reading here.

edson wrote:
...I did a search, but didn't find anything.. not good enough of a search I guess...

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 pm

I'll second what Salmon said. I have a push-pull pot on the volume control of my S-500 instead of the toggle switch. It works fine with the standard tele style knurled knobs installed as they're easy to grip. When I put strat knobs on it (which I prefer), all of a sudden I couldn't get enough purchase to pull the knob out. For that reason I'd recommend a push-push pot instead, and install it on the treble control. Trying to find a 1 Megohm reverse taper push-push pot to install on the bass control would be just about impossible I reckon.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I have a push-pull on the treble pot of my legacy with standard s-type knobs. No problems here, but I let my right hand finger nails grow a bit long for finger picking - maybe that is the reason. It really doesn't take much effort to pull a knob up and it is easy to adjust that pot to have a little more clearance too.

I will say the push-pull alpha pot, while it works just fine, spins very easily. Too easily imho. If ever I get ambitious I may try to find some alternative makers of a push-pull just to see if one has a better 'feel' to me.

I favor the push-pull because it gives a positive indication of the setup.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Edson,

Just for completeness, G&L has issued a Legacy model with a push-pull tone knob to get to 7 pickup combinations. This model is not a standard Legacy however but the Phyllis Model "Blondie", one of the Custom Creations Department Limited Edition models. Although not mentioned specifically on the List of pickups used in G&L guitars, I believe the "Blondie" has the same CLF-100 pups as used in the Legacy and is otherwise not fundamentally different in construction.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Edson,

Just for completeness, G&L has issued a Legacy model with a push-pull tone knob to get to 7 pickup combinations. This model is not a standard Legacy however but the Phyllis Model "Blondie", one of the Custom Creations Department Limited Edition models. Although not mentioned specifically on the List of pickups used in G&L guitars, I believe the "Blondie" has the same CLF-100 pups as used in the Legacy and is otherwise not fundamentally different in construction.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

And, just for more completeness: The 2008 Custom Creations Special Build Legacy Spalted Maple included the push/pull expander function. ;)

(Sorry, Jos just could not resist! :lol: )
Also, I added the missing "Blondie" model to the List of pickups. :oops:

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

edson wrote:
Salmon wrote:

Thanks! I did a search, but didn't find anything.. not good enough of a search I guess...

Any idea of where to get a good quality pot for this project? :)

/Edson

You might also consider using the push/pull pot G&L uses, they are available in the G&L On-Line Store.
Or perhaps the simpler method: a mini-toggle switch (still used on some models), and also available in the On-Line Store.

Just my $0.02.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
(Sorry, Jos just could not resist! :lol: )
Also, I added the missing "Blondie" model to the List of pickups. :oops:

Hadn't expected anything less on both counts Craigs :thumbup:

- Jos

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]