Early G&L Legacy Pots "MADE IN JAPAN" Replacements

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 pm

My '93 Legacy has a buggy volume pot. The sound suddenly gets small and thin until you pound or yank on the knob. Spraying it with a contact spray like Deoxit fixed he problem temporarily, but there now seems to be a dead spot near the high end of the pot's rotation.

Now I'm looking for a replacement but the pots I ordered directly from the G&L site are quite different from the ones that came stock in my guitar: the shaft is longer and the rotation is not as smooth and fast as the original volume pot. These pots are labelled CTS, but the originals are only identified only with the value and the words, "MADE IN JAPAN."

The closest thing I can find so far are some pots made by Fernandes (an ubiquitous brand here in Japan.) Image

Any other information about the pots G&L used in early 90s guitars and/or other recommendations for replacements would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Early G&L Legacy Pots "MADE IN JAPAN" Replacements

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:44 am

I always buy ones like theese. There's no brand named, not even in the Goeldo shop:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_el250.htm

The length doesn't really matter as you have two nuts to adjust the part which appears above the pick guard. Of course if you need a fast poti, I think there must be a shop in your country, which has them too.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 am

The replacement pots I put in my Tribute ASAT to replace the original scratchy ones were Alpha pots. The only markings on them were 250 k and Made in Japan. They are nice fast pots with little resistance and a smooth action. I'm sure these would be available in Japan.

Edit: your photo just downloaded on my phone. That pot looks just like an Alpha.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Cheers, guys! I was about to get one of the Fernandes pots, but it seems these have a 25% defect rate.

I might try one of the new SD YJM pots (Bourns). Not cheap, but still cheaper than buying four pots to find a good one.