Help! DFV won't stay in tune.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 pm

I've got a Tribute Legacy I recently picked up. This is my first foray into the DFV. I've had 3 ASATs before this, figured I'd try an S-Type. I've followed all the instructions for setup. The bridge is level to the body, I've lubricated the nut, I've tightened down the two posts... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I put new strings on and I'm very confident I wound them well. I'm running out of ideas as to what to try! Help appreciated.

Re: Help! DFV won't stay in tune.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 pm

JustRooster wrote:I've got a Tribute Legacy I recently picked up. This is my first foray into the DFV. I've had 3 ASATs before this, figured I'd try an S-Type. I've followed all the instructions for setup. The bridge is level to the body, I've lubricated the nut, I've tightened down the two posts... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I put new strings on and I'm very confident I wound them well. I'm running out of ideas as to what to try! Help appreciated.

These are the current factory setup instructions: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges. Use them as your starting point.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 pm

As I said, I had followed those instructions. I also downloaded the G&L manual and followed those instructions for setup.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 am

JustRooster wrote:As I said, I had followed those instructions. I also downloaded the G&L manual and followed those instructions for setup.

Since there are three different specs depending upon the build year, it was not clear which instructions you were using.

If you got this new from a dealer, you should not have had to adjust the two bridge posts at all. The G&L USA factory does a complete setup prior to shipping to the dealer.
You said: "I've tightened down the two posts" ; what exactly do you mean? The DFV should be floating, and should return to it's stationary position after doing trem arm
up or down. Is there any binding of the bridge during those actions? Check to make sure there are felt grommets under the bridge plate around the two posts. Also, check
that the trem springs are not binding in the trem cavity.

Are the original strings on this guitar or did you replace them with a higher gauge?

If you cannot find the cause of this problem, I suggest you take it back to the G&L dealer and have them do a setup for you. Ask their tech if you can watch him/her while
they do the setup.

Hope this helps.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:33 am

What isn't staying in tune? Is it one string or many strings? All strings?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 pm

seems like it takes a week or two for everything to stabilize after I re-string a instrument , I strung them several different ways and ended back to three wraps per peg but for what ever reason ( strings stretching , the peg winding's ) I don't know but it takes a week or so to hold tune really good , wonder if you have something like that going on ?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:What isn't staying in tune? Is it one string or many strings? All strings?

The G and B, are the worst, but all of them overall.

I think I got it figured out. I had a friend of mine look at it, and the two pivot posts for the vibrato were incredibly tight. I backed them off a bit and it seems to have fixed most of the issue. Changed strings and made sure I had really good wraps and lubed the nut. We'll see in a couple days.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 pm

JustRooster wrote:
bloodied_fingers wrote:What isn't staying in tune? Is it one string or many strings? All strings?

The G and B, are the worst, but all of them overall.

I think I got it figured out. I had a friend of mine look at it, and the two pivot posts for the vibrato were incredibly tight. I backed them off a bit and it seems to have fixed most of the issue. Changed strings and made sure I had really good wraps and lubed the nut. We'll see in a couple days.

Now check to make sure the bridge plate is level with the body and use the latest factory setup: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
If followed, that should get your DF trem working correctly and it should stay in tune. Once that's done, you can fine tune to your preference.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:56 am

I find a lubed nut (and properly slotted for the gauge used) is the most important thing for stability, once the even more important pre-stretching of new strings has been done. I really stretch my strings close to the point of breaking constantly(!) while tuning it up so there's absolutely no slack on the posts and the steel has fully settled to the pull force. Occasionally I break a string during this if it was weak to begin with.
Since I learned do this rather rude treatment to my strings they detune by unmeasurable amounts on the needle tuner and no break-in time is needed.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:13 am

I did a bunch of research and found that tons of people were having issues with the nut on their Tribute. I bought a graphtech one and since then all the issues have stopped. I still find it a tad odd seeing as how I sanded out and lubricated the original nut and still had that issue.

George B, thanks for the input! I'm definitely a string stretcher, too.

Either way, Craig, thanks for the links! I definitely did follow the factory specs to a T. Turns out the nuts from Indonesia are just pretty bleh overall. Now I know what to recommend fixing to future Tribute owners. I had this similar issue with a Tribute ASAT Classic.

Have you guys heard of the nuts from the Tribute series just being too tight/wrong from factory with any consistency?

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 am

This is interesting input and if factual about many having issues, I think it would be to G&Ls benefit to listen. They are using American pickups in most of the tribute models currently. If is costs more to put a good nut in the Tribute and is needed, I doubt that anyone would complain if the price of the Tribute increased by $20 or less. It seems to have solved the issue the OP was having. Thanks for sharing your solution. -- Darwin

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 am

What string gauge did you use when you changed your strings?
For factory string gauges, see: What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?.

Upgrading the Tribute nut to an aftermarket product such as the Graph-Tech one you had installed can be a worthwhile upgrade.
And it sounds like it worked well for you.

Glad to hear that you have gotten your guitar dialed in to your liking. :thumbup:

We'd sure like to see a photo or two and don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.
See the Tutorial for posting photos in the Announcement section.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 am

I thought Tributes had a plastic nut ??.... but I agree , I don't think anyone would complain over a 20.00 increase for a bone nut , I sure wouldn't

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

Fumble fingers wrote:I thought Tributes had a plastic nut ??.... but I agree , I don't think anyone would complain over a 20.00 increase for a bone nut , I sure wouldn't

Yes, that is correct and like I said, upgrading to an aftermarket nut ..., is a worthwhile upgrade. I think you might have misunderstood, thinking I was saying
that you can get a factory installed nut upgrade, which is not the case.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 am

I was agreeing with Darwin , you posted while I was typing , I was refering to G&L upgrading the Tributes at the factory with Bone nut and never installing plastic again , I would pay the extra it cost to produce a instrument with bone nut and I think most wouldn't mind either ..... the nut does seem like the only major gripe on the Tribute models and would be a easy thing to do at the factory that don't cost the manufactorer much and can easily be recovered in the price of the guitar just by raising the price to cover the cost

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:29 am

Fumble fingers wrote:I was agreeing with Darwin , you posted while I was typing , I was refering to G&L upgrading the Tributes at the factory with Bone nut and never installing plastic again , I would pay the extra it cost to produce a instrument with bone nut and I think most wouldn't mind either ..... the nut does seem like the only major gripe on the Tribute models and would be a easy thing to do at the factory that don't cost the manufactorer much and can easily be recovered in the price of the guitar just by raising the price to cover the cost

Okay, but quoting helps addl clarity to who you are replying to.

I don't agree with you and Darwin on making a nut material change on the Tributes. Dave and Co. need to distinguish the Tribute Series separate from the USA models.
They already have upgrades (pickups and bridges) which most other manufacturers do not do on their import line. Perhaps Dave will see this thread and
provide his insight, too.

Just my $0.02.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:55 am

Fumble fingers wrote: I would pay the extra it cost to produce a instrument with bone nut and I think most wouldn't mind either

There are a few of us that would prefer a quality synthetic over bone. (e.g. vegans)

elwood

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Elwood wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote: I would pay the extra it cost to produce a instrument with bone nut and I think most wouldn't mind either

There are a few of us that would prefer a quality synthetic over bone. (e.g. vegans)

elwood

anything but plastic .... :lol:

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks guys! Here's a picture of my ASAT Special Deluxe and Legacy to show my gratitude.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Wow JR, both great but the wood on the Special Deluxe is killer! -- Darwin