Comanche bridge pickup not consistant

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 am

Hey guys, my first post here. I got my Comanche about 6 months ago and still learning all the different sounds about her. Since getting it second hand, the bridge pickup has never worked right. It will sometimes work perfectly, other times no signal (acting as if a dead pup.) When I switch to position 4, the middle pup works and also using the toggle switch on other settings will work, but no bridge included. I already changed the pickup selector switch and still no change. Last time I was playing on the bridge, I heard the volume begin to disappear, and a small static-type noise shortly before the pup went dead. I switched to the middle pup and continued playing just fine.

Is the bridge pup toast? Or could there be another possible cause. Thanks and I really appreciate the info I have found here.

Re: Comanche bridge pickup not consistant

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:34 am

If you have checked the switches and wiring, it could be the pickup. If you have to replace the bridge pickup I suggest replacing with a Will Ray bridge pickup. Several of us on this forum have done that with very positive results. I just checked the G&L online store and they are still on sale at a very reasonable price. Here is the link. -- Darwin
http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/mfd-will-ray-z-coil-bridge-pickup

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:54 am

The symptoms you describe (volume drop, static noise) are exactly what I had with my Comanche Studio VI. The main villain was a cold solder joint. Having a good guitar repairperson redo the soldering of the pickup wires to the pots, ground, etc. should take care of it. Another cause was one of the lugs on the volume pot was too close/touching a wire or lug from the tone control. Simply rotating the pot so the lug was farther away eliminated the problem completely, and mine has been operating flawlessly and noiselessly ever since.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 am

I also suggest that you check the wiring and compare it to the factory setup. See the Gallery Album: Comanche Wiring Diagram and Picture Diagram.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will take a look at the wiring again. I went through with my multi meter last time and ended up replacing a wire strand completely because of break inside of the insulation. I will look at redoing the solder joints next. I would hate to get the new pup, only to have the problem persist.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 pm

I once had a problem with a Strat single coil, which caused symptoms like yours. It was a cold solder joint at the pick up itself. Just there where the fine coil wire was soldered to a little ring, which is also the connector for the thicker wire, which goes to the selector or ground.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Well, I may be calling it too early but I believe we have fixed the problem. I went ahead and re soldered the bridge pup wires(both positive and negative to be sure) and so far so good. :D
I jammed out on her for a good 30 mins on the bridge without a problem. Set her down for another 30 and tried it out just now and still functioning. I had been considering selling this baby a week ago and I am so thankful I didn't. Swapping her around with my twin humbucker guitar, I am blown away by the tonal options this guitar has especially with the bridge functioning now. Thanks fellas, I hope I won't have to return back to this problem.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:04 am

Yea! :banana: Glad that worked so far. Once mine were re-soldered, the problem stopped and that was a few years ago. I agree that the Comanche tones are myriad, so it's great that you are diggin' 'em. Play on!

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:17 am

For sure fixed. I played it again this morning and perfect...now if only I could fix that pop noise when I touch the knobs. I think a total re-ground is in order. Thanks again fellas!

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 am

jono82 wrote:For sure fixed. I played it again this morning and perfect...now if only I could fix that pop noise when I touch the knobs. I think a total re-ground is in order. Thanks again fellas!

Yes, good idea to check all grounds. Make sure the bridge ground wire is good and the solder connection at the trem claw is also good.

:ugeek:

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:26 pm

I am back...and the bridge pickup is no longer working...again. I am really frustrated with this. This guitar is really on my love/hate list right now. Other than replacing the bridge pickup entirely, do you guys have any suggestions at this point?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:32 pm

jono82 wrote:I am back...and the bridge pickup is no longer working...again. I am really frustrated with this. This guitar is really on my love/hate list right now. Other than replacing the bridge pickup entirely, do you guys have any suggestions at this point?

Is there any reason you don't want to take it into a tech? That's what I'd do.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:55 am

To be honest, I hadn't considered that because I would hate to pay $50 for a diagnosis, only for them to confirm that yes the pup is the problem. I am going to probably just order the Will Ray. The pickup is the only consistent factor in all the other things I have checked/replaced. All other controls work with all the other pickups and combinations thereof, so it narrows it down to the pup itself.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:20 am

Well, since I hate finding a tread that has a problem I'm experiencing and the OP just disappears without giving the final solution, I'm here to tell ya'll it was the pickup after all. I ordered the Will Ray (got here fast too), and popped her in. No more problems and has been solid for about 5 days already so I am going to call it fixed at this point. I'm guessing a bad ground or loose wind on the stock pup. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:32 am

I am curious how you feel about the WR pickup. I did that to one of my z-3's and really like it.-- Darwin