Obtaining Locking Tuners

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:22 pm

I just bought a mint 2013 SC-2 with standard tuners. I might like to replace them with the G&L locking tuners, but I don't see them listed in the online store. Who at G&L would I contact to purchase?

Thanks

Re: Obtaining Locking Tuners

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:52 pm

G&L uses Sperzel and Schaller brands on the USA guitars. Depending on which brand of standard tuner came on your guitar, you can buy the locking tuner version of that brand wherever they are available and they will fit. The tuners with the G&L logo are Schaller.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:17 pm

It's best to buy the same brand as what came on your guitar, in case that wasn't clear...the locking Schallers should drop right in to replace the non-locking version. Same for Sperzel-to-Sperzel. Anything else, you'll have fill the holes and re-drill.

If you want Sperzels, you can order all kinds of different colors, a cool option.

Bill

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:45 pm

I would caution you on the sourcing of the locking tuners. If you have the Sperzels originally you can soruce them most anywhere. They will be labeled Sperzel. If the originals have the G&L logo, they will be Schallers. This is where it gets tricky as there are several Schaller models, all looking identical. Some are for Fenders. They will not fit as the pin holes are located differently although it is hard to tell by looking at them. If you order Schallers from Stewmac, they are the correct models for a G&L. Just a caution if you are looking for them on e-bay.-- Darwin

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks. I had noticed that there were indeed several models by Schaller, and was wondering which were the correct ones.