G&L Tech Support (?) and 500k pots in Legacy

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 am

G&L is currently building (or so I hope :D ) a Legacy HB for me, and I've mailed their support a couple of weeks ago to ask the following:

I'd like to put in bare knuckle pickups in the Legacy, and I'd need to change the volume pot to 500k to accomodate the humbucker. As that makes the singles sound to thin, I wondered if I could attach a resistor to them to ground, as in Suhr guitars.

I haven't had any answer, I'm hoping to get one here

best

Jan

Re: G&L Tech Support (?) and 500k pots in Legacy

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 am

That shouldn't be any problem.
I would obtain a 4-pole 5-way switch, and wire as normal but adding, on a spare pole, a 470K resistor to ground which the switch connects to the "hot" of the new volume pot in all switch positions that do not use the humbucker, i.e neck, neck + middle, middle selections.
This will give 500K in parallel with 470K, giving 242K, or as close to 250K as any "250K" pot I ever saw. The tiny (3%) difference from the nominal 250K won't be audible.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am

Jan Geerts wrote:G&L is currently building (or so I hope :D ) a Legacy HB for me, and I've mailed their support a couple of weeks ago to ask the following:

I'd like to put in bare knuckle pickups in the Legacy, and I'd need to change the volume pot to 500k to accomodate the humbucker. As that makes the singles sound to thin, I wondered if I could attach a resistor to them to ground, as in Suhr guitars.

I haven't had any answer, I'm hoping to get one here

best

Jan

The factory and offices of G&L are closed for their annual two week holiday break. I believe they will be back by Monday, Jan. 6th.
I see that Nick has provided you with a solution.

BTW, did you resolve your issue with your modified Comanche (Comanche with Bkp Trilogies Issues)? :searching:

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 am

thanks, any chance of a wiring scheme for that?

The other issue got sorted, when I removed the pick guard again, I noticed two capacitors were touching each other, and I thought ' I can't have that filthy business going on in my guitar ' and separated them, and the issue was solved. Still hum, but a normal amount, I guess

best

Jan

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Jan,
I'm sorry, we're moving home right now, and I don't have my usual PC available.
I'll sketch out something to explain this, but it could be a couple of weeks.
Hope to help,
Best
Nick

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 am

thanks, I'm still waiting for the guitar anyway

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 am

and I'm still waiting for a reply from Tech Support too. I've tried through our distributor, and silence on that front as well. I love the guitars, I sell quite a bit of 'm in our shop, but this could be done better.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:23 am

Hi,

I haven't heard anything still, so if you sketch it out, I'd appreciate that

thanks

Jan