Re: Authenticating a G&L Broadcaster

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:11 am

The concerns of aquiring a late build or counterfeit Broadcaster are justified. With the obvious collectibility of these instruments looming it didn't take long for the fakes to appear. The fact that a G&L Broadcaster has the authentication card, neck plate, and neck pocket sticker signed by Mr. Fender and with matching serial numbers is no indication of it's legitimacy. While neck plates numbering BC00001 thru BC01100 were all legitimate, some were not used do to either the heavy paint on the neck plate making the serial number illegible or the guitar being rejected during the final inspection in which the neck plate was not salvaged or reused. When this occured, the entry in the log book for that particular serial number was left blank or 'reject' was entered. At the end of the Broadcaster run in May of 1986 and at the time of Mr. Dale Hyatt's retirement in Nov. 1991, there were left over neck plates at the factory and a few of these have appeared on guitars and occasionally on ebay. During the transitional period when a company changes hands anything can happen. Evidence of this is the well known "employee built" or "parts" guitars of this time frame. There are subtle differences between an original G&L Broadcaster and most but not all of the fakes.There are exerpts from the original Broadcaster log books out there but they are partial lists and by no means complete. The chances of running across a fake are slim but they do exsist. To date there has not been a formal or complete list of the Original G&L Broadcasters built between 1985 and 1986 published. Only time will tell if we ever see that list and until that time Caveat emptor!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey Guys
So is there anyway to contact Dale Hyatt to authenticate a serial number of a Broadcaster. One that I came across, and would like to buy if it is real, is already registered by registered on the website as a "Bought on eBay and here is the serial number, with signature, with pot codes, but no certificate of authenticity." Is there a way to make sure that it is "the real deal" before I buy it?
Thanks so much!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:22 pm

smileradio wrote:Hey Guys
So is there anyway to contact Dale Hyatt to authenticate a serial number of a Broadcaster. One that I came across, and would like to buy if it is real, is already registered by registered on the website as a "Bought on eBay and here is the serial number, with signature, with pot codes, but no certificate of authenticity." Is there a way to make sure that it is "the real deal" before I buy it?
Thanks so much!

Hello Paul.
I might be able to help you out with the Broadcaster you mentioned. Contact me through the private messaging with some info.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi there, I recently purchased a G&L Broadcaster and I was wondering the same thing.. It didn't have any of the paper work I see people refer to here. Is there any good way to authenticate? It dose have the sticker in the neck joint with Leo Fender's signature and the serial number matches the number on the neck plate. BC00353. as well as the date on the neck sep. 3 1985 and on the inspection sticker sep. 4 1985. the only thing unusual in the neck looks and feel brand new.. the body has a few nicks and some finish fade on the top body side.. i'm in love with this guitar, it really sings, and the intonation is the best I've played. i did pay a little extra toward its collectibility and I wonder if there is a good way to be sure it's authentic and original..