Classic Plus C and Classic Wide C neck string spacing

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58 am

I gather these are 4 of the options for G&L guitars nut width and string spacing:

Classic C ... code 1NK ... 1-5/8" nut ...

Modern Classic ... code MCNK … wider, 1-11/16" nut, but string spacing like 1-5/8" nut (some extra room at the edges)

Classic Plus C ... code 3NK ... 1-11/16" nut, but expanded string spacing

Classic Wide C ... code 4NK … widest, 1-3/4" nut, and same “expanded” string spacing as 3NK? (i.e. more spacing AND more room on the edges)

My question is: is the string spacing on 3NK and 4NK the same? If som that would mean the big 1-3/4 nut on 4NK gives BOTH expanded string spacing AND some extra room at the edges (to help with "falloff" of the small E string). Am I right? Thanks for the geek-out!

Re: Classic Plus C and Classic Wide C neck string spacing

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am

I Love My Bluesboy wrote:I gather these are 4 of the options for G&L guitars nut width and string spacing:

Modern Classic ... code MCNK … wider, 1-11/16" nut, but string spacing like 1-5/8" nut (some extra room at the edges)

Classic Wide C ... code 4NK … widest, 1-3/4" nut, and same “expanded” string spacing as 3NK? (i.e. more spacing AND more room on the edges)

My question is: is the string spacing on 3NK and 4NK the same? If som that would mean the big 1-3/4 nut on 4NK gives BOTH expanded string spacing AND some extra room at the edges (to help with "falloff" of the small E string). Am I right? Thanks for the geek-out!

I have emailed one of my contacts at the factory to get the answer for you.

Stay tuned.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Craig wrote:
I Love My Bluesboy wrote:I gather these are 4 of the options for G&L guitars nut width and string spacing:

I have emailed one of my contacts at the factory to get the answer for you.

Stay tuned.

Here's Spencer's (Shop Foreman) reply:

Hi Craig,
The plek does the nut. It uses the same space from the edge of the neck for the 1nk, 3nk, and 4nk and then it does the calculations to set the spacing between each string.
The mcnk is the only neck with the added room set for the edges.
Thanks,
Spencer

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey thanks Craig for the fast reply, same day!

Sounds like the Plek makes the string spacing for 3NK a bit wider than for the 1NK, and it spreads the 4NK string spacing a little wider than 3NK -- all based on the nut widths. OK! Thanks for digging out this small but important detail !

Tom