What Color Is This Leo Era Asat?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:30 am

I just received a Leo era Asat in an odd color. The body is dated 1988 and the neck has a 1990 date. The color is a dark gray color with a purple hue in the right light.

Re: What Color Is This Leo Era Asat?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Coool,
Santa comes early in your area.

Not sure about the color, I haven't seen that before. The stock black usually shifts to a muddy green if left in the elements.
Have you looked under the covers yet?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

don't know about the colour but it looks pretty cool...

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Elwood wrote:Coool,
Santa comes early in your area.

Not sure about the color, I haven't seen that before. The stock black usually shifts to a muddy green if left in the elements.
Have you looked under the covers yet?

I've had the guitar apart and it appears to be the original finish. It's definitely not black. I've owned a few Leo era G&L's in black that had the muddy green color.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 pm

sweet guitar ... you definatly picked up some bad boyz here lately ..... I would guess it's a dark blue that aged to what it is now , it would be cool to hear from Fred Finisher on this one

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 pm

I've never seen that finish before, but I like it. It kind of reminds me of a thundercloud, just before the rain starts. Nice score!

Ken

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:sweet guitar ... you definatly picked up some bad boyz here lately ..... I would guess it's a dark blue that aged to what it is now , it would be cool to hear from Fred Finisher on this one

There is a slight blue hue to it in the right light, but it's more purple. I thought at first it might be Bahama Blue that had aged. Bahama Blue, was never listed on the G&L price sheets as an Asat color option, but they may have built a few. Rampage Red, wasn't listed as a color option on Leo era Asat's either but I've seen one.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 am

Steve,

You will need to send that guitar here for me to look at in better light.

y2kc

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:sweet guitar ... you definatly picked up some bad boyz here lately ..... I would guess it's a dark blue that aged to what it is now , it would be cool to hear from Fred Finisher on this one

There is a slight blue hue to it in the right light, but it's more purple. I thought at first it might be Bahama Blue that had aged. Bahama Blue, was never listed on the G&L price sheets as an Asat color option, but they may have built a few. Rampage Red, wasn't listed as a color option on Leo era Asat's either but I've seen one.

It sounds and looks like the finish is one of those automotive Color Shift paints. While this ASAT was built after Fred Finisher's tenure at G&L, he might be able to
confirm what kind of paint was used on this finish. Also, Larry G (aka HLG) might be able to look up this serial number in his copy of the G&L log book and see what
color finish this guitar was given at the factory.

Very interesting ASAT you scored Sprinter.

Thanks for posting it.

:ugeek:

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Craig wrote:
It sounds and looks like the finish is one of those automotive Color Shift paints. While this ASAT was built after Fred Finisher's tenure at G&L, he might be able to
confirm what kind of paint was used on this finish. Also, Larry G (aka HLG) might be able to look up this serial number in his copy of the G&L log book and see what
color finish this guitar was given at the factory.

Very interesting ASAT you scored Sprinter.

Thanks for posting it.

:ugeek:

I did hear from Larry G. and the color is listed as purple in the log book. The guitar had a 1988 completion date listed in the log book, so the neck has been changed.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:24 pm

This is the only purple ASAT i've seen other than mine. I bought one in Fairbanks AK in 1990. Mine is an 89 model and has a rosewood fredboard with, by Leo Fender on the head stalk. For a while, I thought mine was the only one made but apparently they must have made a few, oh and BTW, mine is definately purple, I bought it brand new out of the box and I still have it, best guitar I've ever owned.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 am

Hey Guys,
Although I left after the end of '85 to move to Atlanta, there was some experimenting with colors while I was still in charge of the finish department. The first purple guitars were two that were supposed to go to Prince. These were Broadcasters and I don't think they were that dark. I also don't know if they ever made it to him. Dale was asked to break the all Black rule for the Broadcasters for those as well as a guitar we painted for Carl Perkins ( Blue ) . We were still making the Broadcaster when I left so what got done for the Asats is best checked in the pages of the log books held by Kenny Hyatt.
If I had to guess, I would say that the finish on this Asat is Black with blue pearl mixed into the base color or clear coats. We did a few experiments with pearl while I was there and the results were great.
If you want to check to see if the finish is original, the best way is to remove the neck and check the over spray pattern. There are distinctive patterns left by the handles we used and unless it was refinished by someone that was using one of the original handles, ( possible, but less probable) you can tell fairly easily. There were also indentations left by the washers we used to space the handles away from the bodies and necks so as not to have the finish chip when the handle was removed.
I'm not sure what year the topcoats went to poly, but if you want to check for nitro, carefully wet an area that is not seen with lacquer thinner. if the finish begins to melt, it is nitrocellulose. If it merely cleans it, the topcoats are poly. Based on the 1988 completion date, I would bet on a poly topcoat. Be very careful with the thinner just in case it is nitro.
I hope this helps,
Fred