what is this ??

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't know if its a hack job or a rare Kahler ASAT ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Matte-Fin ... 4189wt_863

Re: what is this ??

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Thing string is not even on the high E string bridge saddle.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:19 pm

As I recall rom some tiny recess in my "mind," there were some ASATs from the factory with Kahlers.

But more things than that trouble me. The 'bucker route was after market. You can the marks from the Forstner bits. I doubt the paint job is factory, as I have never seen one from G&L where the pup route was painted so completely. And it's not a good paint job, not up to what I consider G&L standards.

Later,

edg

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:09 pm

That is the hardest rockin ASAT I've seen. I like it.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm

guitar_ed wrote:As I recall rom some tiny recess in my "mind," there were some ASATs from the factory with Kahlers.

Ed,

There have been quite a few, and it started already with the Broadcaster (search for Kahler on that page). In all 23 Broadcasters and 11 ASATs with Kahler bridges are registered on this site, with 8 Broadcasters (yup, that is one more than previously thought unless there is a typo in one of the serial numbers) and 4 ASATs having a maple fingerboard.

Judging from the matte finish, this might be a project guitar. I would love to take the neck off for a peek under the hood.

- Jos

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:14 pm

KenC has a ASAT Kahler is how I knew they made them ..... It would be neat to take a peek under the neck , could be a rare bird , sounds like Blarg's going to bid ...lol

Eric

heres a link to a nice ASAT with kahler

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-G-L-ASAT-w ... 4acc3ad449

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:36 pm

And another one bites the dust...

The Kahler does look to be the correct model for a mid-80s G&L, but the locking nut monstrosity is definitely not original. Here is what the originals look like:

Another clue that the hacked-up ASAT on eBay left the factory with the Kahler is the lack of a boxed string retainer on the headstock. Contrast the headstock photo above with this one, which is a hard tail ASAT (both were from May/June 1986):

Notice that the Kahler-equipped ASAT has a recessed truss rod nut, while the hard tail has the bullet typical of mid-'80s G&Ls.

I think the guitar on eBay has been refinished rather than just sanded down to a matte look. One clue as Ed pointed out is the black paint on top of the drilling marks in the pickup cavity, but also there are no visible traces of the mounting screw holes for the pickguard. They must have been filled before the refin.

This one could be restored pretty easily. A single-ply black pickguard would cover the enlarged pickup cavities, and the finish could possibly be buffed to a respectable G&L black. If my ASAT quota wasn't full, I would think about bidding on this one as another rescue project.

Ken